No probs installing but is my network secure? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have just installed Live One Care, I have noticed that some other users are talking about secure/unsecure network. When i installed on main desktop i made that the hub PC and installed WLOC on my other 2 laptops. I have had no messages regarding the status of my wireless network, my Once Care Circle says all is fine. It shows main PC as the hub and the other 2 laptops.

So i am assuming that my wireless network is secure, as i got no error message. I am using the Orange Livebox as a router with a Thomson Link Adapter (due to my desktop not being centrino, which orange only works with, so had to buy adapter). The Wep key etc. were installed when setting up the orange livebox.

So can any one tell me, is my network secure or not?

P.S I have tried to get print sharing on my wireless network for the last year using various Security software i.e. Trend PC-cillin and Mcafee. Neither would let me share the printer. I was tearing my hair out as i could not find any reason why wireless printing wouldnt work.

However, there is a god! Since installing WLOC the printer just popped up asked me if i wanted to share, i clicked yes and hey presto, i can now print from any pc in house over network. Thank you WLOC.

Monday, November 26, 2007 2:06 PM

Answers

• Since you have secured your router your network is secure. Most of the posts regarding unsecured networks are a result of One Care sensing a weak or interrupted signal. One Care then assumes you are connected to a public network.It will then warn that you are connected to an unsecured network as it rightly assumes a public network is unsecured.

Monday, November 26, 2007 2:46 PM

All replies

• Since you have secured your router your network is secure. Most of the posts regarding unsecured networks are a result of One Care sensing a weak or interrupted signal. One Care then assumes you are connected to a public network.It will then warn that you are connected to an unsecured network as it rightly assumes a public network is unsecured.

Monday, November 26, 2007 2:46 PM
  • Yes, you are apparently using a secured WiFi network. I'm going to move this thread to that topic. The way this works is OneCare probes your router and checks to make sure that it is secured and also checks to make sure that you have set up an encrypted signal - secure.

And, I'm glad to read that the printer sharing feature has also helped you. I know that the team will be very happy to read this. :-)

-steve

Monday, November 26, 2007 5:59 PM