Server Backup RRS feed

• Question

• I am curious how others backup their WHS.  I am running WHS 2011 beta and simply using the built in backup program.  What I like to do is at least once a month do a full backup and take it to where I work.  I do not care for the format of the backed up files.  I would prefer to have them backed up where they could be read from any computer.  Are there any third party programs anyone can recommend.  I also use iDrive to backup my small files like music and photos and docs but I have various ripped DVDs on my server also.
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 6:16 PM

All replies

• I am curious how others backup their WHS.  I am running WHS 2011 beta and simply using the built in backup program.  What I like to do is at least once a month do a full backup and take it to where I work.  I do not care for the format of the backed up files.  I would prefer to have them backed up where they could be read from any computer.  Are there any third party programs anyone can recommend.  I also use iDrive to backup my small files like music and photos and docs but I have various ripped DVDs on my server also.

Try the underlying Windows Server 2008 app.
    Or Crashplan - free for computer to folder/drive/another computer backups. Does store files in its own format though.

With WHS 2011 I use - so far - the built in Backup wizard and Crashplan.

WHS 2011 RTM coming alive, taking over WHS v.1 duties.
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 7:41 PM
  • If you have less then about 1.5 TBytes of data in you shares (including the client backup database) you can use two separte 2 TByte USB disks.
    Connect one of the disks to your server at a time.

Use the server backup functionality from the WHS Dashboard. By default it will use a schedule to backup your server twice a day giving you the ability to completely restore you server or server data to the time of the most recent backup.

Once a month you can then exchange the current server backup disk with the one store safely offline (at your work)
    - Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Saturday, May 14, 2011 2:50 PM
  • "1.5 GBytes", really, sure you don't mean 1.5T? ; - )

--
    Don

If you have less then about 1.5 GBytes of data in you shares (including the client backup database) you can use two separate 2 GByte USB disks.
    Connect one of the disks to your server at a time.

Use the server backup functionality from the WHS Dashboard. By default it will use a schedule to backup your server twice a day giving you the ability to completely restore you server or server data to the time of the most recent backup.

Once a month you can then exchange the current server backup disk with the one store safely offline (at your work)
    - Theo.

Saturday, May 14, 2011 4:48 PM
  • Theo,

Question:  Does the Server Backup work like it does in WHS v.1?  Where you have to match a Shared Folder of no more than 2TB to a 2TB abckup drive?  So if you have 6 2 TB shared folders you can back these up to 6 2TB backup disks?

Or are you limited to backing a total of 2TBs to backup?

Thanks!

Thanks. Paul Carvajal
    Saturday, May 14, 2011 4:48 PM
  • "1.5 GBytes", really, sure you don't mean 1.5T? ; - )

Hi Don, Sure :-)

Must be getting old?
    I am from a time long ago when my PC had a staggering 10MB fullhight disk and a huge pile of 256KB floppy disks for backup :-)
    - Theo.

Saturday, May 14, 2011 5:58 PM
  • The latter: you are limited to backing up a total of 2TB.
    To work around this limit you should be able to use the Windows 2008 R2 internal backup utility. But be warned: this utility is targeting server adminitrators and is not easy to use.

- Theo.

Saturday, May 14, 2011 6:11 PM
  • Thanks Theo - any possibilty you might  know if they are any updates planned to make it work like WHS v.1?
    Thanks. Paul Carvajal
    Sunday, May 15, 2011 4:13 AM
  • Hello Paul,
    I have no information on this. As WHS 2011 now uses the integrated backup solution of the OS think it will never be "like WHSv1".
    Personally I would like to see some additional functionality for Server Backup.
    Time will tell...

- Theo.

Sunday, May 15, 2011 8:07 PM
  • Thanks Theo - appreciate it.
    Thanks. Paul Carvajal
    Monday, May 16, 2011 12:34 AM