none
Cannot open file but can load Money (Version 14.0) RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using Money for years with very few problems and I love it. I managed to load it onto my HP Spectre x360 Windows 10 laptop 2-3 years ago and have had hardly any issues. I tried to open my main .mny file this morning but I get error message. I have tried restoring the backup but the same issue arises or it just gets hung up. I CAN open other .mny files with no issues and I have tried opening the problem file once Money has loaded up the other file but it just won't open. I have rebooted the laptop several times but this doesn't work. My main .mny file is abour 40MB, so has a lot of data. All my files are password protected. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Tuesday, September 19, 2017 9:15 AM

All replies

• In Windows Explorer, go to <View - Options - Change folder and search options - View> and enable the option to "Show hidden files, folders and drives".

Then go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money\MNYCoreFiles, launch salv.exe and repair your data file.

See Using the Microsoft Money repair (salvage) tool 

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 10:36 AM
  • A  salv.exe fix would be great.

Also, do you have fairly recent other backup files? Money 2005 can have an upon-exit backup, but it also has a scheduled backup too. I have my scheduled backups go to a USB flash drive, in case my hard drive fails. The following command, run in a command window, will search your C: drive for backups:

dir c:\*.mny /s

The search takes a while.

I am confident that you will review your backup policies for Money and your other important programs. It would be nice if others did that too.

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 2:38 PM