WHS Restarts randomly during the day RRS feed

• Question

• I've been running WHS 120 day evaluation for about 2 months now and I've noticed this weekend the server rebooting at random times throughout the day.  After the reboot the console comes back up and I have access to the server it just seems like this shouldn't be happening.  Has anyone else had a similar experience that could point to a solution?  I did activate WHS when I installed it.  I'm running an ASUS K75a mobo with an AMD Athlon 1.33 GHz, 1 gb ram and 2 x 400 gb drives.  Thanks for any help.

Sunday, May 18, 2008 6:39 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the tip, apparently it says my trial has expired and continually restarts.  I was pretty sure my evaluation period was longer but perhaps I was wrong, problem solved.

Sunday, May 18, 2008 11:13 PM

All replies

• Please have a look at your WHS eventlogs; Logon to your WHS using RDP (Remote Desktop) or KVM, then Start, Run, type eventvwr.msc, Hit Enter. Look for error messages immediatley before the reboot(s) have occured.

Sunday, May 18, 2008 10:54 PM
  • Thanks for the tip, apparently it says my trial has expired and continually restarts.  I was pretty sure my evaluation period was longer but perhaps I was wrong, problem solved.

Sunday, May 18, 2008 11:13 PM
  •  tdxmofo wrote:
    Thanks for the tip, apparently it says my trial has expired and continually restarts.  I was pretty sure my evaluation period was longer but perhaps I was wrong, problem solved.

Yep, sometimes it expires too early for often obscure reasons.
    Sunday, May 18, 2008 11:16 PM
  • I had a problem with WHS saying it was expired when it still had several months to go. I thought that a reboot fixed it but now that I looked in the logs it apparently shuts down and restarts several times a day. Now that my 120 day eval is on its last weeks the frequency is getting higher. The only indicator unless you are using the console is a beep from the PC speaker and then the sounds of a system doing a warm boot. I realize this is an eval version but surely the nag could be a little more user friendly, I thought I was having an issue with my mobo or something!

Each shutdown is preceeded by an application popup about my trial expiring in 20+ days and the warning that the system will shutdown in one hour.

Monday, May 19, 2008 4:12 PM