none
Is WHS eating my bandwidth? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. I recently set up a WHS2003 server on my home network. This is the fourth PC in our home. Since its arrival our charged broadband network consumption has increased fivefold (I'm talking about having been generally under 4Gb per month to up to 20Gb per month)! I have timed the automatic updates so as to only do its downloading during the night time (free) download period, but that hasn't helped.

The situation is confused, though, by the fact that at about the same time my son acquired a Sony Playstation 3 with which he likes to play shoot-em-ups over the Internet. So I don't know which of these two new machines is the likely culprit.

Has anyone any hints as to what WHS processes might be eating bandwidth, or as to how to do some analysis of the situation? I am no expert at network monitoring software, and I don't even know whether a software network monitor is going to see everything that's going on on my network, which is a combination of a wireless broadband router with four RJ45 ports (one of which the server is plugged into) probably operating internally as a switch rather than a hub (does anyone make hubs anymore?) with one other PC connected directly to the router and everything else (including the Playstation) wireless.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Michael

Friday, November 12, 2010 9:40 AM

All replies

• Most probably it's the PS3. Unless you're downloading/uploading constantly from the Remote Access web site, or you've installed something that consumes a lot of bandwidth, the major consumer for Windows Home Server is automatic updates, and that won't be consuming anywhere near 20 GB/month.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, November 12, 2010 10:42 AM