Windows Home Server Compatibility with Solid State Drives RRS feed

• Question

• I recently swapped out my C: Drive & installed a new SSD from Intel (Win 7 Pro), cloning the C: Drive with Apricorn's upgrade kit.  The computer runs fine but WHS quit working - Can't preform backups although other computers on the network are still backing up just fine & Xbox Media Streaming from the WHS no longer works.

Is there a compatibility issue I'm unaware of?

dcwest
    Friday, November 26, 2010 8:17 PM

Answers

• Try reconfiguring backups for the computer in question.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by dcwest Monday, November 29, 2010 2:34 PM
    Friday, November 26, 2010 11:18 PM

All replies

• I don't have an answer, but, very interested in finding out since I'll be changing to a SSD in my HTPC very soon.

Have you tried removing the computer from the console and adding it back?

Friday, November 26, 2010 9:17 PM
  • Try reconfiguring backups for the computer in question.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by dcwest Monday, November 29, 2010 2:34 PM
    Friday, November 26, 2010 11:18 PM
  • It works now...

When I reconfigured the backup for the new drive, it showed a "System Reserved" partition as well as the other drives on the PC.  It was that partition that was causing the problem.  I re-configured leaving out that partition from the backup & all is working fine now.

The "System Reserved" partition was created by default in the cloning process - Does anyone know what it's for?

dcwest
    Monday, November 29, 2010 2:33 PM
  • "The system reserved 100MB partition is only available for Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 7 Business and Windows 7 Enterprise editions. It is used primarily as BitLocker partition for BitLocker encryption. In addition to this it also holds the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) and boot files with boot manager. This is used to boot the computer whenever it has boot problems and there is no Windows 7 installation DVD disc with you."

I'd would want to keep this as part of the back-up, if possible. 

A second thought:  Was the 100MB partition copied over during the cloning?  If not, that may explain the conflict.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 1:39 AM