Please HELP reinstalling Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade version RRS feed

• Question

• I have a new PC and I wanted to install an upgrade version of Windows 7 Ultimate. The previous version of Windows I had was Windows XP. When installing, the hardware store was not able to install from the Windows XP disk because WinXP asked for SATA drivers. The SATA drivers should be installed from a floppy drive. But my new motherboard doesn't have (and no longer supports) floppy drives. The solution found by hardware store staff was starting the installation from a Windows Vista disk (I did not ask questions) and then complete it with my Win7 upgrade disk. Then the installation and activation were successful.
    Now I need to reinstall 7 Windows on a clean and formatted hard drive in the same machine. But as I only have the windows XP disk how to achieve the installation?

Sunday, December 12, 2010 2:44 PM

Answers

• Create a bootable XP SP3 CD and use it to perform a "clean install" of Windows XP. The new CD will include SATA drivers necessary to facilitate installation.

Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by jproubaud Monday, December 13, 2010 5:57 PM
    Sunday, December 12, 2010 11:12 PM

All replies

• "jproubaud" wrote in message news:399d68b4-0051-42f1-a40e-5d676bafbeaa...

I have a new PC and I wanted to install an upgrade version of Windows 7 Ultimate. The previous version of Windows I had was Windows XP. When installing, the hardware store was not able to install from the Windows XP disk because WinXP asked for SATA drivers. The SATA drivers should be installed from a floppy drive. But my new motherboard doesn't have (and no longer supports) floppy drives. The solution found by hardware store staff was starting the installation from a Windows Vista disk (I did not ask questions) and then complete it with my Win7 upgrade disk. Then the installation and activation were successful.
    Now I need to reinstall 7 Windows on a clean and formatted hard drive in the same machine. But as I only have the windows XP disk how to achieve the installation?

I suspect you're going to have problems.
    From what I can make out, you had an OEM install of XP, which you upgraded to Win7. (If that's the case, then you'll have a COA sticker for XP somewhere on the machine)
    You then upgraded the motherboard - which automatically invalidates the XP OEM license on which your Win7 install would be based.
    Your 'hardware store' then installed some version of Vista, and used that as the basis for an upgrade - clearly in violation of the license terms, since an Upgrade license requires a VALID qualifying OS to upgrade from.
    If I'm right about your XP license, then the only way you can legitimately install Win7 on that machine is to purchase a FULL license for Win7 - you could sell your existing upgrade to defray costs.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Sunday, December 12, 2010 3:48 PM
  • Thank you Noel for yout quick response

I have a legitimate copy of Windows XP (XP Professional actually)! But I couldn´t install XP in with the new motherboard because the installation process of xp asks for sata drivers. I had to install those drivers with a floppy drive which my mb doesn´t support!

I can not believe that microsoft doesn´t have a solution for a customer with legitimate software both XP and 7!!!

Please can anyone help?

JPR

Sunday, December 12, 2010 10:52 PM
  • Create a bootable XP SP3 CD and use it to perform a "clean install" of Windows XP. The new CD will include SATA drivers necessary to facilitate installation.

Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by jproubaud Monday, December 13, 2010 5:57 PM
    Sunday, December 12, 2010 11:12 PM
  • Thank you Carey

I will soon try your suggestion. However I can remember at the time I tried to do a XP clean install in my system (last April) I´ve tried the procedure you just told me. But the system didn´t recognize the Sata drivers in the bootable XP SP3 CD, I never could figure out why. After several unsucessful attempts I went to a hardware repair service and they didn´t either. The "solution" was the one I told in first message. I´ll try again neverthless.

JPR

Monday, December 13, 2010 12:03 AM