Hard Drive has Failed, and Cannot Remove due to File Conflicts RRS feed

• Question

• I have a failed hard drive that is "Missing" in the console.  I tried to Remove the Hard Drive using the wizard, and it claims that File Conflicts prevent me from doing so.  What should I do?
    Monday, May 17, 2010 1:53 AM

All replies

• Have you reviewed the FAQ section? There's a FAQ that deals specifically with some common causes of file conflicts.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, May 17, 2010 2:53 AM
  • Where is this FAQ you mention? My WHS is namely reporting that one of the disks is missing and I want to make sure I uninstall the old, crashed backup-HDD and install a new one, in the correct order and make sure all data is safe

My setup: 2x500GB HDD, of which one is crashed. Backup on both HDD. The one doubling as a systemdrive/backup is ok, the one with the shares etc has crashed. I don't backup any computers in my house (have no Win-machines any longer, just MAC's. Built the WHS when I had PC's.). However, there is videos in a share that "mirroring" isn't turned on for, and I want to make sure to save us many as possible of those (home made videos of my kids)

Monday, May 17, 2010 8:03 AM
  • The FAQ section.

Usually, if a drive has failed and you can't remove it from server storage using the console, you can simply shut down, physically remove the offending drive, and start back up. Then you can remove it using the console.

Monday, May 17, 2010 12:38 PM
  • the link to the FAQ section is the general section.  I did a search on this section before I posted the question because I could not find a suitable answer.  If there a specific FAQ that I have missed, could you please post me a link to that?

To follow your suggestion, "start back up", can you elaborate the specific steps i should take to start the back up?  I thought only computers were backed up on WHS.

Thanks!

Monday, May 17, 2010 8:21 PM
    1. Shut your server down.
    2. Remove the failed disk.
    3. Boot your server.
    4. Make sure you actually got the right disk, and then remove the missing disk.
    The FAQ you're looking for is titled "FAQ: How do I resolve File Conflicts?".
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 1:48 AM
  • the link to the FAQ section is the general section.  I did a search on this section before I posted the question because I could not find a suitable answer.  If there a specific FAQ that I have missed, could you please post me a link to that?

To follow your suggestion, "start back up", can you elaborate the specific steps i should take to start the back up?  I thought only computers were backed up on WHS.

Thanks!

When Ken said "start back up", he meant just turn your server back on (it had nothing to do with backups).
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 4:44 AM
  • I struggled with this a lot and couldn't find a posted solution that worked. I'll simplify a bit to void info that I think is not relevant.

The BDBB backup would fail unfortuately that doesn't tell you much so I ran the script:

net stop PDL.
       net stop WHSBackup

copy D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}  E:\
       net start WHSBackup
       net start PDL.

and found the file causing the problem. I tried CHKDSK including the \F option but that didn't help. Repair also didn't work. I tried deleting the offending file but that didn't work either.

Next I removed the offending drive using the WHS console and that hung with only the bad file left. I tried to remove the drive again but no luck, so I went into the mangement console (right click Computer and select Manage) disk management and deleted the partition on the offending drive. I rebooted and the offending drive appeared as "missing" but it wouldn't let me remove it. I could also still not delete the offending file and the BDBB now gave me a file handle error. Next I tried formatting the drive and remounted it at the proper mount point on C:, I then deleted the offending file and the delete worked. BDBB backup also ran so now I'm going to try a reinstall.

Sunday, September 19, 2010 9:25 PM