Strange Storage Space Problem RRS feed

• Question

•  Good Morning All!
        I am new to WHS so I'm not 100% sure if this is a Hardware issue or a software issue.  I have Home Server installed on a Dell Dimension, with 1GB of RAM and an 80GB system drive.  I have added 2 external 500GB Hard drives, and they seem to be recognized just fine.  The problem is that after I add them the drive space says 945GB free of 54GB.  It doesn't seem to use the drives correctly.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ted
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 3:52 PM

Answers

• Ken Warren said:

This is A) by design, and B) a bug (in my opinion). I encourage you to submit a bug report on Connect, with a screen shot showing the erroneous information. If you haven't previously done so you will need to sign up with Connect, and join the Windows Home Server beta program.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

We have two bugs for this. Here is the master bug:

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=384243

(I'm getting malformed links when I try to paste this as a link)

This has been taken under consideration based on the feedback in the forums.

Thanks.

Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 6:19 PM

All replies

• This is A) by design, and B) a bug (in my opinion). I encourage you to submit a bug report on Connect, with a screen shot showing the erroneous information. If you haven't previously done so you will need to sign up with Connect, and join the Windows Home Server beta program.
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 3:58 PM
  • HarborTed said:

Good Morning All!
        I am new to WHS so I'm not 100% sure if this is a Hardware issue or a software issue.  I have Home Server installed on a Dell Dimension, with 1GB of RAM and an 80GB system drive.  I have added 2 external 500GB Hard drives, and they seem to be recognized just fine.  The problem is that after I add them the drive space says 945GB free of 54GB.  It doesn't seem to use the drives correctly.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ted

That's a known issue.  There was an update on 11/25/08 that changed the way WHS presents the total free space to the clients.

Before the update, WHS would only show the amount of free space on the primary drive (in your case, 54 GB).  If you tried to move more than 54 GB of data to your server from Vista, it would say "insufficient space" and not copy anything.

The update now "tricks" the client OS into seeing the entire free space on the server (not just the primary drive) so Vista will allow you to copy the data to the server.
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 4:00 PM
  • ok, I think I'll try to copy some data to the drive.  I have some photos i'll copy and I'll see if it does indeed let me use more than the 50GB of free space.  Thanks for the quick response!!

Ted

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 5:19 PM
  • Ken Warren said:

This is A) by design, and B) a bug (in my opinion). I encourage you to submit a bug report on Connect, with a screen shot showing the erroneous information. If you haven't previously done so you will need to sign up with Connect, and join the Windows Home Server beta program.

We have two bugs for this. Here is the master bug:

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=384243

(I'm getting malformed links when I try to paste this as a link)

This has been taken under consideration based on the feedback in the forums.

Thanks.

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 6:19 PM
  • Any link which contains "id=" (not case sensitive) appears to be truncated at that point. Annoying, but already reported:

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 7:40 PM
  • Ken Warren said:

Any link which contains "id=" (not case sensitive) appears to be truncated at that point. Annoying, but already reported:

Thanks Ken. I sent mail to the internal team and they'll probably send me back to your link.

I thought I was going crazy the other day because I kept creating links to the new toolkit (or almost anywhere) and they were failing.
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 8:12 PM
  • How come percent full shows up as more than 100% in these instances?  In my instance I have 1.26TB free of 545GB (really I have 4.2TB in my pool).  That would mean percent available is 1260/545= 231% and percent full should be 100%-231% or -131% - why is it showing 100%?  If the percent indicator can only handle value between 0% and 100% then anything less than 0% should show as 0% and anything greater than 100% should show as 100%.
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 7:09 PM
  • wayner9 said:

How come percent full shows up as more than 100% in these instances?  In my instance I have 1.26TB free of 545GB (really I have 4.2TB in my pool).  That would mean percent available is 1260/545= 231% and percent full should be 100%-231% or -131% - why is it showing 100%?  If the percent indicator can only handle value between 0% and 100% then anything less than 0% should show as 0% and anything greater than 100% should show as 100%.

Purely speculation on my part, but my guess is the client OS has no idea how to handle that calculation, so it freaks out.  After all, in the non-WHS world, that's not possible. ;)
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 7:20 PM
  • kariya21 said:

After all, in the non-WHS world, that's not possible. ;)
    And it shouldn't be possible in a WHS world.
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 5:27 PM