Defragment the hard disk during Tune-up RRS feed

• Question

• An unknown error prevented Tune-up from performing this task.  I tried running Tune-up again, and it still gave me a problem.  Please assist me!

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 8:25 PM

Answers

All replies

• It is possible a disc error is causing this issue. I suggest checking your hard drive for errors. How to perform disc error checking - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 8:45 PM
  • Everytime defrag runs during tuneup I get the error message "due to the high volume of fragmentation, defrag was unable to complete, files are marked for the next tuneup. Why can't this stop? Has been happening for months!

Thursday, July 31, 2008 1:59 PM
  • Hi, Edwin, ignore the message.

This is, in my opinion, a flaw in the design of OneCare. Defrag during Tune-up will run for a limited period of time and does not check the status of the file system before running. If it runs out of time, you'll see that message in the Tune-up report. You may be able to eliminate this by doing a manual Defrag shortly before Tune-up is going to run, but even that might not help. However, the Defragmentation performed during Tune-up *is* successful in that fragmented files were optimized while it ran, so a percentage of your disk is not fragmented when Tune-up completes. The nature of the file system is such that it will immediately begin fragmenting again, though, so a perfect completion in Tune-up doesn't mean that you will see significant reduction in fragmentation and/or increase in disk performance. Every little bit helps, though, so OneCare is helping. Simply ignore the message for now and know that the defragmentation that took place worked.

-steve

Thursday, July 31, 2008 3:01 PM