Can't access media stored on my WHS 2011 via my WP7 device using the remote access site RRS feed

• Question

• I have a WHS 2011 remote access site at http://gedwards.homeserver.com. Using IE on my WP7 device, I can access the mobile version of the site just fine. I can browse/search my files, and I can download pictures and Office documents (well, at least the Word doc I tried) just fine - they open right up on the phone. However, when I try to pull down a music track (I've tried WMA or MP3) or a video (WMV, MP4), the progress bar starts and just then stops. Sometimes I can see a flash of the "Click here to download" page, but otherwise it seems totally non-responsive. I'm wondering whether this is by design or just a fluke? Is WHS 2011 blocking my access to those file types. This post on the Windows Team Blog discusses the mobile-optimized remote access site and would seem to suggest that downloading media files is possible, although the example in the post just demos a picture folder.

Since I was able to download Office docs without problems, I decided to remote into my WHS from my PC and rename one of my WMA files that I was previously unable to download to DOCX. You know what? It downloaded just fine. Obviously, I can't open it in Word, but that would seem to indicate that either WHS or WP7 somehow blocks the transfer of certain files that are identified as media. If so, that's quite disappointing. I'm not trying to share media with the world, just get it from my WHS to my WP7 device. I'm hoping someone else has a better explanation.

Follow-up question: Is Microsoft (or a 3rd party) planning better integration between WHS 2011 and WP7 down the road? They seem like a natural fit, and I'm kind of surprised they don't work together more seamlessly. I'd love to see pictures on my WHS in my Pictures hub and media in my Music+Video hub. Thanks!

- Greg
    • Edited by gregsedwards Friday, June 3, 2011 2:42 PM added link
    Friday, June 3, 2011 2:40 PM

Answers

• Based on a suggestion in another thread, I rebooted my phone and it seems to be working fine now. Looking forward to trying it out! Thanks!
    - Greg
    • Marked as answer by gregsedwards Wednesday, June 15, 2011 7:16 PM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 7:16 PM

All replies

• Please see the post http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/windowshomeserver/archive/2011/01/07/windows-home-server-goes-mobile-phone.aspx , we are close to releasing a beta of this WP7 App.

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.
    Michael Leworthy [MSFT]
    Senior Technical Product Manager
    Windows Server - SMB
    Microsoft Corporation
    Saturday, June 4, 2011 4:52 AM
  • Awesomesauce! If you need anyone for the the beta, please keep me in mind. Thanks!
    - Greg
    Saturday, June 4, 2011 12:17 PM
  • Got the RC today. Setup was a breeze, but when I connect to my home server from the phone, all I get is Account > Settings, Logout, and About. No other functions. When I check the Settings screen, it says the Live Tile Updates are off and they cannot be enabled for the selected user. But it's the primary user on the WHS. What am I doing wrong?
    - Greg
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 4:57 AM
  • Based on a suggestion in another thread, I rebooted my phone and it seems to be working fine now. Looking forward to trying it out! Thanks!
    - Greg
    • Marked as answer by gregsedwards Wednesday, June 15, 2011 7:16 PM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 7:16 PM