Unable to activate or use windows update RRS feed

• Question

• I get error 0x80072EE2 when trying to activate. It says it cant connect to the server. I have so far been unable to repair it. Sadly this might make the WHS 2011 unusable. Any suggestions or solutions?
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 12:33 AM

Answers

• Found the issue. Interestingly my active cisco firewall thought it was an intrusion and denied its access. Very interesting since from any other device on my system I can access everything. So for anyone with a higher end cisco router with a built in firewall. Be sure to disable your inspections of TCP and UDP packets. In fact I would just disable it for the time being.
    Casey
    • Marked as answer by CaseyP1 Wednesday, August 3, 2011 12:32 AM
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 12:32 AM

All replies

• Indeed it will, after 30 days, make it unusable! Which version of WHS2011 have you installed(OEM)? Are you sure your server is connected to the Internet?
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 12:52 AM
  • If you are nearing the end of the grace period, try the following until you get the activation process worked out.

Open a Remote Desktop Connection or boot into WHS 2011 if you have a monitor and keyboard attached.

1.. Click Start, and then click Command Prompt.
      2.. Type slmgr.vbs -dli, and then press ENTER to check the current status of your grace period.   (This will also give you a partial key and license status)
      3.. To reset the grace period, type slmgr.vbs -rearm, and then press ENTER.
      4.. Restart the computer.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Indeed it will, after 30 days, make it unusable! Which version of WHS2011 have you installed(OEM)? Are you sure your server is connected to the Internet?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

BullDawg
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 2:53 AM
  • Indeed it will, after 30 days, make it unusable! Which version of WHS2011 have you installed(OEM)? Are you sure your server is connected to the Internet?

I am running the OEM system builders WHS2011. Its the only purchasable version I was able to find on newegg.com. I just installed it today. Is there something special I had to do when installing the OEM version? I posted the origional comment from the server itself so it is indeed connected to the internet. I verified I could reach MS update (another service that gives me the same error code) via my other computers on the same internet connect so its not my router or MS at this time.

Thank you Bulldawg for letting me know how to get around the grace period for the time being.

Casey
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 3:31 AM
  • If you are nearing the end of the grace period, try the following until you get the activation process worked out.

Open a Remote Desktop Connection or boot into WHS 2011 if you have a monitor and keyboard attached.

1.. Click Start, and then click Command Prompt.
      2.. Type slmgr.vbs -dli, and then press ENTER to check the current status of your grace period.   (This will also give you a partial key and license status)
      3.. To reset the grace period, type slmgr.vbs -rearm, and then press ENTER.
      4.. Restart the computer.

Thanks for the work around. Luckily I wont need it yet but who knows when I will get this fixed right.
    Casey
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 3:33 AM
  • I am running the OEM system builders WHS2011. Its the only purchasable version I was able to find on newegg.com. I just installed it today. Is there something special I had to do when installing the OEM version? I posted the origional comment from the server itself so it is indeed connected to the internet. I verified I could reach MS update (another service that gives me the same error code) via my other computers on the same internet connect so its not my router or MS at this time.
    Casey

Casey

That's the only version available unless you have a Microsoft Technet/MSDN account. There is nothing special you need to do to install it, although best to do so on a blank disk. It sounds as though you are using your server as a workstation if you are sending emails from it - this is fundamentally wrong. Can I assume you have also been adjusting the server settings without using the Dashboard from a Client computer? If so, as you only installed today, I would suggest you clean the disk and install a fresh version and only administer using the Dashboard.

Sunday, July 31, 2011 3:54 AM
  • I am running the OEM system builders WHS2011. Its the only purchasable version I was able to find on newegg.com. I just installed it today. Is there something special I had to do when installing the OEM version? I posted the origional comment from the server itself so it is indeed connected to the internet. I verified I could reach MS update (another service that gives me the same error code) via my other computers on the same internet connect so its not my router or MS at this time.
    Casey

Casey

That's the only version available unless you have a Microsoft Technet/MSDN account. There is nothing special you need to do to install it, although best to do so on a blank disk. It sounds as though you are using your server as a workstation if you are sending emails from it - this is fundamentally wrong. Can I assume you have also been adjusting the server settings without using the Dashboard from a Client computer? If so, as you only installed today, I would suggest you clean the disk and install a fresh version and only administer using the Dashboard.

I only loaded to the webpage (via a USB no install portable firefox) so I could post this and try and get it working. Since then I have been using my main computer. No need to reload since I havent adjusted very much at this point. Only the browser settings to try and fix the windows update issue, and made some user accounts. Nothing else has been done so far (well I did move where my folders are located since I have a second large drive for my storage space) except trying to make the activation/update work.
    Casey
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 4:28 AM
  • On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 00:33:30 +0000, CaseyP1 wrote:

I get error 0x80072EE2 when trying to activate. It says it cant connect to the server. I have so far been unable to repair it. Sadly this might make the WHS 2011 unusable. Any suggestions or solutions?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941/en-us

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Beware of programmers who carry screwdrivers.  -- Leonard Brandwein

• Proposed as answer by Ken Warren Sunday, July 31, 2011 6:28 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by CaseyP1 Sunday, July 31, 2011 7:58 PM
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 10:40 AM
  • On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 00:33:30 +0000, CaseyP1 wrote:

I get error 0x80072EE2 when trying to activate. It says it cant connect to the server. I have so far been unable to repair it. Sadly this might make the WHS 2011 unusable. Any suggestions or solutions?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941/en-us

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Beware of programmers who carry screwdrivers.  -- Leonard Brandwein

I saw that article. Its not related to my issue though. It says temporary connectivity issue while updating. I never can get to the update site or activation site without that error 0x80072EE2. I found another posting from a guy who deleted his ethernet card then rebooted and reinstalled his card. This didnt correct the issue either. 
    Casey
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 7:58 PM
  • Tried a reinstall. It didnt correct the problem. When I get home this evening I am going ot try to flash my motherboard BIOS to see if maybe there is a hardware issue preventing connection to the MS servers since one email I read suggested that it was their NIC that was causing a similar issue. I already tried updating drivers but that didnt help. I will let everyone know what happens when I'm done. Any other suggestions?
    Casey
    Monday, August 1, 2011 3:57 PM
  • OK so latest update, bios update did not repair the issue. I am now at a loss. Anything anyone can suggest would be great. If I cant get help here within the week its down to calling Microsoft and telling them their software will quickly become unusable (at least on my machine) without their assistance.
    Casey
    Monday, August 1, 2011 11:20 PM
  • Ok I got the windows to activate but it still will not connect to windows update. To get it to activate I disable firewalls or other Internet browser programs that can affect the Internet connection; Stopped Cryptographic services, renamed catroot2 to catroot2back; turned off enhanced browser protection; installed IE9; restarted cryptographic services; Then rebooted.

Once the computer loaded I attempted activation and wonder of wonders, activation.

Still no windows update though =(. Any clues here would be appreciated!

Casey
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 12:34 AM
  • Found the issue. Interestingly my active cisco firewall thought it was an intrusion and denied its access. Very interesting since from any other device on my system I can access everything. So for anyone with a higher end cisco router with a built in firewall. Be sure to disable your inspections of TCP and UDP packets. In fact I would just disable it for the time being.
    Casey
    • Marked as answer by CaseyP1 Wednesday, August 3, 2011 12:32 AM
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 12:32 AM
  • Once your updated with the latest MS updates you will no longer be blocked by TCP, UDP stateful inspections on your cisco router

Casey
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 2:40 AM