WHS 2011 Dashboard very slow to load.... RRS feed

• Question

• Microsoft WHS 2011 Group you need to fix this...

The WHS 2011 Dashboard takes way to long to load, the old WHS was slow but way faster.  I am running WHS 2011 on a i5 with OS sitting on seperate drive with no data or any activity going with 8GB of ram and it takes forever.  There is barely even 10% cpu load or even 10% ram usage and this is terrible.

I have absolutley lost it for Microsoft Products in recent years.  Yes Windows 7 is great but WHS 2011 is very poorly made, can we get some actual fixes here.  Wish some of our feedback actually made its way to a solution instead of being just thrown into a cabinet and never looked at.   

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 10:51 PM

All replies

• Agree, something needs to done, come on Microsoft we buy your products in good faith, but like many others keep an eye on other systems.
    Thursday, February 9, 2012 12:08 AM
  • I was offered and installed a connector SW update this morning. No details of the "improvments" and no speed in dashboard increase that I could notice. It wasn't sent to all my PC's.

Britgeezer

Thursday, February 16, 2012 2:47 PM
  • Yes, it's slow to load (randomly) but this is hardly a deal breaker given the overall product benefits.

However, I think what you are describing is symptomatic of the entire WHS 2011 product design, not just the Dashboard.

My feeling is that whereas WHS v1 took comparatively few dependencies on Windows Server, and was mostly a purpose-built layer sitting on top of the OS (and hence could be designed with the end user experience more at the forefront), the 2011 product is much more depdendent on the server OS, and (as server systems are), is constructed of loosely-coupled asynchronous services that often work independently of one another.  It's the nature of such a design that it isn't very deterministic, so it's hard to make UI layers feel responsive. 

In addition to addressing the current functional limitations (2Tb, drive pooling) in the product, I hope Microsoft tightens up the user experience in WHS, which will help it be a more consumer friendly product.

• Edited by Gary Voth Monday, February 20, 2012 12:51 AM
    Monday, February 20, 2012 12:50 AM