activation after reinstall RRS feed

• Question

• I recently replaced the motherboard and cpu on my wife's computer. When I started it up, Vista would not start. No solution worked, except a complete reinstall. When I entered the product key, it told me to install frommy existing version of windows, which, of course, was impossible, since it would not load. So I installed without the key,  planning on activating later. Now when I try to activate, it says that the key is only good for upgrades, not clean installs. Is there any easy solution to this, or am I stuck buying  a new product key?

Thursday, March 26, 2009 7:55 PM

Answers

• Hello Rich,

You have an Upgrade version of Vista.  Which must be installed over a lower version of Windows, to Upgrade it. 

There is suprisingly simple workaround and if you seach the internet using the terms "install vista upgrade" you will find it.  

Please understand, the workaround is not Microsoft Offical, so due to policy,  I can't link to it or post it here.

Your other option is to contact Vista Support http://support.microsoft.com. Install issues are usually supported at no cost.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers.
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, March 26, 2009 10:47 PM
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 10:47 PM