Two Beginner Questions RRS feed

• Question

• Thanks in advance for any help. And thanks for tolerating "dumb" questions.

I just bought the Acer Aspire easyStore and set up WHS. I'm being bedeviled by really basic stuff.

First, how do I actually populate shared folders? My local PC is loaded with folders full of photos. How do I get those is the shared Photos folder on WHS?

Second, I can't figure out how to activate McAfee? None of what the various pieces of documentation says works. "Launch Security Center" and "About" are the only active options on the McAfee dialog in WHS. And there is no McAfee MSI or any files listed in the Shared Folders on WHS.

Thanks to anyone who can help me.

-max
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 12:32 AM

Answers

I just bought the Acer Aspire easyStore and set up WHS. I'm being bedeviled by really basic stuff.

First, how do I actually populate shared folders? My local PC is loaded with folders full of photos. How do I get those is the shared Photos folder on WHS?

You copy them to the shared folders by using the Shared Folders on Server icon on your desktop or by using the UNC path (\\server\[sharename], replacing "server" with the name of your server).

Second, I can't figure out how to activate McAfee? None of what the various pieces of documentation says works. "Launch Security Center" and "About" are the only active options on the McAfee dialog in WHS. And there is no McAfee MSI or any files listed in the Shared Folders on WHS.

-max
    McAfee is not part of the WHS package put out by Microsoft (it's an add-in that some OEM manufacturers, such as Acer, added on themselves).  You might want to try contacting Acer about that part.
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 1:17 AM

All replies

You copy them to the shared folders by using the Shared Folders on Server icon on your desktop or by using the UNC path (\\server\[sharename], replacing "server" with the name of your server).

-max
    McAfee is not part of the WHS package put out by Microsoft (it's an add-in that some OEM manufacturers, such as Acer, added on themselves).  You might want to try contacting Acer about that part.
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 1:17 AM
  • Thanks. I actually figured out the first after realizing how dumb I was. As for McAfee, I don't need it anyway. And theirs would be the last I used if I did. But thanks so much for the fast reply.

-m
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 2:16 AM