Please Help With my Windows XP Validation RRS feed

• Question

• Hey Guys

Bit of a problems with my validation. I got a computer of Ebay and was told within the description that Windows XP on it would be genuine and valid.

When I got the computer everything was fine but when it came to installing the most up to date windows updates it installs the Win XP genuine program, as I thought that this would be no problem I installed it, it then tells me that my Windows did not pass the test as its an invalid product key. I then looked for the product key and there was no product key with the computer nor any CDs (In the description it did state there was no CDs).

When I contacted the guy he said that he installed the copy of Windows XP onto his new laptop with the same product key and sold me the computer with product key on (if that makes any sence). So thats why when I try to validate it, it couldnt as Microsoft believe that it is installed using the same key on somebody elses computer. Now is this allowed?

I have took it up with Paypal as I feel I should not have to pay the fee to get my Windows to become Genuine however Paypal want a fax of something to prove that it is not genuine from a professional body, ideally Microsoft. What can I do and use? I was thinking about the Diagnositcs program which I have used (see below) as evidence. I only have 10 days to reply to Paypal so anybodys advise and help would be great .

Also please check the diagnostics notes and let me know whats the real problem

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0095.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid Product Key
    Validation Code: 8
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-T27MD-767KP-JGRPJ
    Windows Product Key Hash: HOp7eUI/Epn4cgr632cj7SagJZI=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-645-9496473-23310
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {7221132C-0C1C-4F94-B87F-50BD9E182E3D}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.69.2
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 8
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.7
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 108 Invalid VLK
    Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007 - 108 Invalid VLK
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.28.0
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-604-645_B4D0AA8B-604-645_025D1FF3-171-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{7221132C-0C1C-4F94-B87F-50BD9E182E3D}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0095.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-JGRPJ</PKey><PID>55274-645-9496473-23310</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-2000478354-1035525444-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>System manufacturer</Manufacturer><Model>System Product Name</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>ASUS A8N-SLI Premium ACPI BIOS Revision 1009</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20051021000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>3BF033BF01844E76</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>108</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90120000-0030-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}"><LegitResult>108</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007</Name><Ver>12</Ver><Val>7480B9502DF0D86</Val><Hash>oYWOW5ayFE3pZ+jvTpuXYsY64JE=</Hash><Pid>89388-707-8722531-65779</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="12" Result="108"/><App Id="16" Version="12" Result="108"/><App Id="18" Version="12" Result="108"/><App Id="19" Version="12" Result="108"/><App Id="1A" Version="12" Result="108"/><App Id="1B" Version="12" Result="108"/><App Id="44" Version="12" Result="108"/><App Id="A1" Version="12" Result="108"/><App Id="BA" Version="12" Result="108"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

------------------------------------------------------

I have no COA, its Windows XP with SP2.

Sunday, July 20, 2008 8:10 AM

Answers

• Your MGA report shows that a non-genuine, counterfeit copy of Windows XP Professional is currently installed on your computer.  In addition, you also have a non-genuine, counterfeit copy of Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007 installed.

A VLK is a Volume License Key.  Apparently an illegal product key generator was used to produce the non-genuine, counterfeit product keys.

Print a copy of your MGA report and circle the above items.  This will serve as proof you were sold non-genuine, counterfeit copies of Microsoft software.

Sunday, July 20, 2008 8:40 PM
  • TurnipFarmer,

Thank you for the QUICK feedback. Please provide me with the address of whom you purchased this from by emailing me wgaforum@live.com. Also please follow the guidance Dan provided. This will also provide you with another alternative for helping you gain your monies back. Also look @ filling out a piracy report by visiting http://www.howtotell.com . There will be a link off this site http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/ for filing the report. Also have you attempted to call and/or email the person whom you purchased this system from? Request he provide you with the genuine versions of the product. Also you can try and use the search feature and see how many similar sales he has done. 

Hopefully all of this will help you resolve what has happened to you.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Monday, July 21, 2008 6:34 PM
  • Turnip Farmer,

As I previously posted I can not @ my level. This is why I asked two other times if you would provide me with his information @ the provided way previously. In turn I would push to appropriate location. Please file a piracy report as well. I can not express enough how important this will be for you. Please follow the guidance Dan has provided. Unfortunately I am unable to provide you with further assistance through the Windows Genuine Advantage Forum because this falls outside the scope of the forum. 

Take care Turnip Farmer,

Stephen Holm, MS
    • Marked as answer by StephenHolm Monday, July 28, 2008 9:20 PM
    Monday, July 28, 2008 9:20 PM

All replies

• Your MGA report shows that a non-genuine, counterfeit copy of Windows XP Professional is currently installed on your computer.  In addition, you also have a non-genuine, counterfeit copy of Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007 installed.

A VLK is a Volume License Key.  Apparently an illegal product key generator was used to produce the non-genuine, counterfeit product keys.

Print a copy of your MGA report and circle the above items.  This will serve as proof you were sold non-genuine, counterfeit copies of Microsoft software.

Sunday, July 20, 2008 8:40 PM
  • Hello Farmer,

We are sorry to hear about the experience you recently had.  Maybe I can provide you with some additional guidance. Please try and submit the MGA Diagnostic results to paypal. I am not sure what criterea they require regarding refunds as you will need to work directly with them.  Also have you contacted EBay regarding this problem? Please contact them directly and explain what has occured. 

Ed, are you willing to work with us? If so I have some questions maybe you can provide us with some answers. Here they are and I do appreciate your post and help: 

- Please compare the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) sticker against others located on http://www.howtotell.com . Does the COA contain a 25 digit product key? Let us know if it appears genuine or non-genuine.

-  Was this an individual or an actual business selling the product on Ebay? 

-  Did you receive the orginal software media disc and COA with the purchase?

-- Please provide the Business or personal Addresses where you purchased the product from. Research and see if the person has an actual store front as well verses selling as an individual.

-- Please provide Business, Individual, email and Ebay Alias contact information for the product you purchased

-- Is the computer (either laptop or desktop) commercial or custom built systems by  a local shop?

Thank you very much. Please provide us with answers and any other information which may be helpful.

Take care for now.

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA and OGA Forum Manager

Monday, July 21, 2008 2:03 AM
  • Oh dear I didnt realise that Office was not genuine either :-(. Im really dissapointed!

Paypal require proof from a professional body who can prove that the software is not genuine. Il print my MGA diagnostic off and fax it off to paypal as proof. Do you think this will be more than enough solid proof? Il will also include into the claim now that Office is not genuine. Is there anything else I can use as proof to support it further? I want to get as much proof as I can to support my claim.

Stephen Holm, MS ive gone through Paypal for the claim however not ebay, do you think I should tell them as well as the problem with the software?

Answers to your questions Stephen

1. I didnt get no COA with the computer so cant compare it.

2. It was an individual on ebay not a business.

3. Did not recieve the original discs or COA.

4. Stephen would you like me to email you the address etc of who I got it from, not sure if I should put it on a public forum.

5. The computer is a desktop and was not built by a shop, it was custom built.

Monday, July 21, 2008 9:16 AM
  • TurnipFarmer,

In addition to faxing the mgadiag report, if you have a good digital camera or can borrow one, take a snapshot of the WGA notificaton that you see when Windows starts up, and take a snapshot of the mgadiag utility's results screens, and either email the pix to PayPal or post them to a free picture posting site (like photobucket) and email them a link so they can see it.  You could also take sanpshots of the results of the Validate Windows and Validate Office scans here:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/

Also, log onto eBay, and then in the upper right click onto the Community link, then Discussion boards, then find the one for PayPal.  Search a little to see if you can find a similar situation.  If no quick results, then post a question in that PayPal discussion board, describe your situation and ask if anyone there has filed a similar claim and how did PayPal end up deciding.

Monday, July 21, 2008 3:07 PM
  • Dan,

GREAT information! I sincerely appreciate the extra information to help out the customer. 

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, July 21, 2008 6:15 PM
  • TurnipFarmer,

Thank you for the QUICK feedback. Please provide me with the address of whom you purchased this from by emailing me wgaforum@live.com. Also please follow the guidance Dan provided. This will also provide you with another alternative for helping you gain your monies back. Also look @ filling out a piracy report by visiting http://www.howtotell.com . There will be a link off this site http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/ for filing the report. Also have you attempted to call and/or email the person whom you purchased this system from? Request he provide you with the genuine versions of the product. Also you can try and use the search feature and see how many similar sales he has done. 

Hopefully all of this will help you resolve what has happened to you.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Monday, July 21, 2008 6:34 PM
  • Hi Stephen,

You're welcome!

Always glad to help out!

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 3:03 PM
  • Hi Guys

Just had an email back from paypal and they wont accept anything of those things as proof as it does not have a letter head with an address and name of person who can clarify that it is not valid, its bizzare and rather anoying as this guy who sold me the computer looks like he is going to get away with it.

I am now stuck to what to do, unless one of you microsoft guys can email/provide me with an official letterhead with address, name and contact details so that I can fax it off to paypal. If you can, please do so by the 28th July as this is how long I have to respond to paypals email, if I dont respond to it, I lose the claim!
    Friday, July 25, 2008 7:55 AM
  • Just been on the phone to paypal and they do need a letter head with address, contact details of comebody to contact, basically it has to be official. I was wondering if you Microsoft guys could email me a letter head stating that my copy of windows and office are not valid that would be great and I can fax it off to them however I have only got to the 28th july.

Friday, July 25, 2008 8:09 AM
  • massage field is manual
    Friday, July 25, 2008 11:28 AM
  • MigrationUser 1 said:

Hello Farmer,

We are sorry to hear about the experience you recently had.  Maybe I can provide you with some additional guidance. Please try and submit the MGA Diagnostic results to paypal. I am not sure what criterea they require regarding refunds as you will need to work directly with them.  Also have you contacted EBay regarding this problem? Please contact them directly and explain what has occured. 

Ed, are you willing to work with us? If so I have some questions maybe you can provide us with some answers. Here they are and I do appreciate your post and help: 

- Please compare the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) sticker against others located on http://www.howtotell.com . Does the COA contain a 25 digit product key? Let us know if it appears genuine or non-genuine.

-  Was this an individual or an actual business selling the product on Ebay? 

-  Did you receive the orginal software media disc and COA with the purchase?

-- Please provide the Business or personal Addresses where you purchased the product from. Research and see if the person has an actual store front as well verses selling as an individual.

-- Please provide Business, Individual, email and Ebay Alias contact information for the product you purchased

-- Is the computer (either laptop or desktop) commercial or custom built systems by  a local shop?

Thank you very much. Please provide us with answers and any other information which may be helpful.

Take care for now.

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA and OGA Forum Manager

Friday, July 25, 2008 11:29 AM
    Friday, July 25, 2008 11:30 AM
  • Dan at IT Associates said:

TurnipFarmer,

In addition to faxing the mgadiag report, if you have a good digital camera or can borrow one, take a snapshot of the WGA notificaton that you see when Windows starts up, and take a snapshot of the mgadiag utility's results screens, and either email the pix to PayPal or post them to a free picture posting site (like photobucket) and email them a link so they can see it.  You could also take sanpshots of the results of the Validate Windows and Validate Office scans here:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/

Also, log onto eBay, and then in the upper right click onto the Community link, then Discussion boards, then find the one for PayPal.  Search a little to see if you can find a similar situation.  If no quick results, then post a question in that PayPal discussion board, describe your situation and ask if anyone there has filed a similar claim and how did PayPal end up deciding.

Friday, July 25, 2008 11:30 AM
    Friday, July 25, 2008 11:31 AM
  • MigrationUser 1 said:

Dan,

GREAT information! I sincerely appreciate the extra information to help out the customer. 

Stephen Holm, MS

Friday, July 25, 2008 11:31 AM
    Friday, July 25, 2008 11:32 AM
    Friday, July 25, 2008 11:33 AM
  • Dan at IT Associates said:

Hi Stephen,

You're welcome!

Always glad to help out!

Friday, July 25, 2008 11:33 AM
  • msddsge field is manual
    Friday, July 25, 2008 11:36 AM
  • MigrationUser 1 said:

Hey Guys

Bit of a problems with my validation. I got a computer of Ebay and was told within the description that Windows XP on it would be genuine and valid.

When I got the computer everything was fine but when it came to installing the most up to date windows updates it installs the Win XP genuine program, as I thought that this would be no problem I installed it, it then tells me that my Windows did not pass the test as its an invalid product key. I then looked for the product key and there was no product key with the computer nor any CDs (In the description it did state there was no CDs).

When I contacted the guy he said that he installed the copy of Windows XP onto his new laptop with the same product key and sold me the computer with product key on (if that makes any sence). So thats why when I try to validate it, it couldnt as Microsoft believe that it is installed using the same key on somebody elses computer. Now is this allowed?

I have took it up with Paypal as I feel I should not have to pay the fee to get my Windows to become Genuine however Paypal want a fax of something to prove that it is not genuine from a professional body, ideally Microsoft. What can I do and use? I was thinking about the Diagnositcs program which I have used (see below) as evidence. I only have 10 days to reply to Paypal so anybodys advise and help would be great .

Also please check the diagnostics notes and let me know whats the real problem

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0095.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Code: 8
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-T27MD-767KP-JGRPJ
    Windows Product Key Hash: HOp7eUI/Epn4cgr632cj7SagJZI=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-645-9496473-23310
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {7221132C-0C1C-4F94-B87F-50BD9E182E3D}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.69.2
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 8
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.7
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 108 Invalid VLK
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.28.0
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-604-645_B4D0AA8B-604-645_025D1FF3-171-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{7221132C-0C1C-4F94-B87F-50BD9E182E3D}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0095.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-JGRPJ</PKey><PID>55274-645-9496473-23310</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-2000478354-1035525444-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>System manufacturer</Manufacturer><Model>System Product Name</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>ASUS A8N-SLI Premium ACPI BIOS Revision 1009</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20051021000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>3BF033BF01844E76</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>108</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90120000-0030-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}"><LegitResult>108</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007</Name><Ver>12</Ver><Val>7480B9502DF0D86</Val><Hash>oYWOW5ayFE3pZ+jvTpuXYsY64JE=</Hash><Pid>89388-707-8722531-65779</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="12" Result="108"/><App Id="16" Version="12" Result="108"/><App Id="18" Version="12" Result="108"/><App Id="19" Version="12" Result="108"/><App Id="1A" Version="12" Result="108"/><App Id="1B" Version="12" Result="108"/><App Id="44" Version="12" Result="108"/><App Id="A1" Version="12" Result="108"/><App Id="BA" Version="12" Result="108"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

------------------------------------------------------

I have no COA, its Windows XP with SP2.

Friday, July 25, 2008 11:36 AM
    Friday, July 25, 2008 11:37 AM
  • Carey Frisch said:

Your MGA report shows that a non-genuine, counterfeit copy of Windows XP Professional is currently installed on your computer.  In addition, you also have a non-genuine, counterfeit copy of Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007 installed.

Friday, July 25, 2008 11:37 AM
  • Turnip Farmer,

First, can you post the auction number for what you bought on eBay?

PayPal is only going to adjudicate whether the seller sent you what they promised they were going to send you, and what you paid for.  If the seller's auction says that no Operating System (OS) was going to be included, then they are off the hook.  If the seller says genuine Windows and Office are going to be installed, then you are Golden and will collect.  If the seller says something vague about Windows and Office, then PayPal will have to make the call.

I think you should call PayPal back and speak with a supervisor.  I get the impression that they are operating under the assumption that you purchased physical CDs with software on them and are accusing the seller of sending your counterfeit CDs.  In a case like that they would want proof from the actual publisher of the CDs (in this case, Microsoft) that they examined the CDs the seller sent you and they are indeed countefeit.

What you have to communicate to the PayPal supervisors (who are in NO WAY experts in anything related to computers or software, let me tell ya! from personal experience) is that there are no physical CDs, just installed software, specifically the Operating System.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Friday, July 25, 2008 2:43 PM
  •  it does say in the the description of the auction that windows is included and its genuine.

Is anybody able to help me from Microsoft with the official letter head stating that my copy of Windows and Office is not genuine??

Saturday, July 26, 2008 8:22 AM
  • anyone?
    Monday, July 28, 2008 6:08 PM
  • Turnip Farmer,

As I previously posted I can not @ my level. This is why I asked two other times if you would provide me with his information @ the provided way previously. In turn I would push to appropriate location. Please file a piracy report as well. I can not express enough how important this will be for you. Please follow the guidance Dan has provided. Unfortunately I am unable to provide you with further assistance through the Windows Genuine Advantage Forum because this falls outside the scope of the forum. 

Take care Turnip Farmer,

Stephen Holm, MS
    • Marked as answer by StephenHolm Monday, July 28, 2008 9:20 PM
    Monday, July 28, 2008 9:20 PM