none
Assertion Failed

Question

• Hi..Yesterday I started getting this popup whenever  i tried opening a window in IE.  The only change to the system was 2 automatic downloads yesterday morning of Visual C++ 2013. I have no idea what that is,what it does or how to use it. Since the automatic downloads occurred this is the message I get when attempting to open a new window.

Assertion Failed

---------------------------
    Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
    Assertion failed!

Program: ...
    File: d:\sunita\download\jsoncpp-src-0.5...\json_value.cpp
    Line: 679

Expression: type_ == stringValue

For information on how your program can cause an assertion
    failure, see the Visual C++ documentation on asserts

(Press Retry to debug the application - JIT must be enabled)
    Abort   Retry   Ignore   

• Moved by Shu 2017 Friday, June 05, 2015 8:14 AM from VC++ forum
    Wednesday, May 27, 2015 10:34 AM

Answers

• Hello,

I'd ask in the Internet Explorer forum on Microsoft Community.

As the Microsoft Community is on a different platform, we cannot move the question for you.

Once there, click on Participate near the top of the screen, and select 'Ask a Question' or 'Start a Discussion':

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Monday, June 22, 2015 4:18 PM

All replies

• I find it interesting that i too was having the same issues.... 

For some reason, it started working fine with i opening the IE files from the C Drive...

After, i opened it and looked around for the same line and all the other stuff. I was not able to find. Which i am sure it is in there.  Yet, after closing the files and reopening IE it started to work normal. However, who is not to say that this is only a temp fix or they may actually have a fix for it. 

I find it troublesome that something so annoy could have been fixed by simply opening the IE folders/files. I do not know if this may help you or you may find useful. I do hope it works for you like it did for me.

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 11:39 AM
  • What is the window you want to open in IE? a web page?

File: d:\sunita\download\jsoncpp-src-0.5...\json_value.cpp : this file seems a source code file in a library. The window you want to open should use this .cpp file and get a Assertion error. You may need to read the source code of json_value.cpp and find out why your window run into this Assertion error.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, May 28, 2015 7:44 AM
  • I too, have the same problem with Internet Explorer.  I get the following pop-up

d:\sunita\download\jsoncpp-src0.5...\json_value.cpp

If anyone has had this pop-up and successfully dealt with it please share your comments and solutions.  Please make the solution understandable for a non-technical novice.  ☺

Thank you.

• Edited by ZZ Topp Monday, June 01, 2015 9:42 PM
    Monday, June 01, 2015 9:39 PM
  • Sounds like an IE issue, not a programming issue.

Monday, June 01, 2015 11:18 PM
  • You might want to do a system restore to an earlier date. Especially if you have made any changes to your computer lately. If you don't know how to do a system restore, do a search in google for: "windows 8 system restore" and follow instructions. That should fix the problem.

• Edited by Richiecg Wednesday, June 03, 2015 4:46 PM
    Wednesday, June 03, 2015 4:45 PM
  • This is the designed behavior of the assert function in the Visual C++ runtime, which is used to capture bugs in code. The information assert dialog is only meaningful to the author thus generally speaking you should not see it in published software - a published software is required to provide more user-friendly error messages. 

IE itself does not depend on the Visual C++ runtime. As for finding out which IE extension throws this, ask in the IE forum at answers.microsoft.com. 

Visual C++ MVP

Friday, June 05, 2015 5:23 PM
  • Hello,

I'd ask in the Internet Explorer forum on Microsoft Community.

As the Microsoft Community is on a different platform, we cannot move the question for you.

Once there, click on Participate near the top of the screen, and select 'Ask a Question' or 'Start a Discussion':

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Monday, June 22, 2015 4:18 PM