MediaSmart EX470 powers off during large file transfer RRS feed

• Question

• My Hp MediaSmart EX470 has started powering itself off during large file transfers from another computer on my home network.  It was not doing this for the first few months I had it.  Nothing has changed in that time, I have not applied any updates, I have not changed any hardware on the WHS or the other computer.  The only thing I can think of is perhaps issues with the Celeron processor, as in it can't keep up with the amount of and speed of the transfers.  This isn't something I do every day, I wait until my Media Center fills up with recorded video that I want saved elsewhere.  Once I have 100gb or so, I start transferring.  Sometimes the full load gets transferred without any issue, but more often than not the WHS just shuts itself off for no reason.  It's not an issue with the amount of data causing the problem either; I've tried transfers with as little as a few hundred megabytes and it will still shut itself off, though again, not every single time.

What in the world could be causing this?

Also, how can I setup the WHS to boot when it receives a network packet?  Obviously I can't get to the BIOS to enable Wake On Lan (shouldn't that *already* be enabled considering this is "server" software?).  If I could just auto-start the WHS without having to physically push the power button it would be a Godsend!

TIA

Wednesday, April 8, 2009 6:43 PM

Answers

• My Hp MediaSmart EX470 has started powering itself off during large file transfers from another computer on my home network.  It was not doing this for the first few months I had it.  Nothing has changed in that time, I have not applied any updates, I have not changed any hardware on the WHS or the other computer.  The only thing I can think of is perhaps issues with the Celeron processor, as in it can't keep up with the amount of and speed of the transfers.  This isn't something I do every day, I wait until my Media Center fills up with recorded video that I want saved elsewhere.  Once I have 100gb or so, I start transferring.  Sometimes the full load gets transferred without any issue, but more often than not the WHS just shuts itself off for no reason.  It's not an issue with the amount of data causing the problem either; I've tried transfers with as little as a few hundred megabytes and it will still shut itself off, though again, not every single time.

For starters, a bad power supply (or some other piece of hardware that's failing).

Also, how can I setup the WHS to boot when it receives a network packet?  Obviously I can't get to the BIOS to enable Wake On Lan (shouldn't that *already* be enabled considering this is "server" software?).

No.  Servers are designed to be on 24/7/365.  However, if you want the ability to turn it on and off, there is an add-in called Lights Out.

If I could just auto-start the WHS without having to physically push the power button it would be a Godsend!

TIA

It sounds to me like you are having some hardware issue.  You should contact HP for support.
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 12:36 AM

All replies

For starters, a bad power supply (or some other piece of hardware that's failing).

Also, how can I setup the WHS to boot when it receives a network packet?  Obviously I can't get to the BIOS to enable Wake On Lan (shouldn't that *already* be enabled considering this is "server" software?).

No.  Servers are designed to be on 24/7/365.  However, if you want the ability to turn it on and off, there is an add-in called Lights Out.

If I could just auto-start the WHS without having to physically push the power button it would be a Godsend!

TIA

It sounds to me like you are having some hardware issue.  You should contact HP for support.
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 12:36 AM

>> For starters, a bad power supply (or some other piece of hardware that's failing).

If that were the case, it wouldn't be shutting down *only* during file transfers.  When I move large amounts of data from the WHS back to my Media Center PC, it doesn't shut down.  It's only when packets are coming into the network card, and it's random.

>> No.  Servers are designed to be on 24/7/365.  However, if you want the ability to turn it on and off, there is an add-in called Lights Out .

I will give it a shot, but I would much rather be able to do normal Wake On LAN.  Thanks for pointing that out.

TIA

>> It sounds to me like you are having some hardware issue.  You should contact HP for support.

HP has been absolutely no help.  As long as their tests pass, they don't consider there to be any problems.  As I mentioned ... "Sometimes the full load gets transferred without any issue" ... so the problem is random enough that they don't consider it to be a hardware issue.  I am 100% certain it is not a software issue.  I just wish there were an easy way to wake the WHS up from it's sleep.

Thanks for the response  :)
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 2:32 PM
  • It sounds to me like a network hardware or driver issue. It could potentially be external to your server, too. Have you checked all network wiring and equipment between your home PC and your server? You should not accept an "off the cuff" response from HP technical support; you have an actual issue, and one of the reasons you have presumably bought an HP device is for the support that they offer.

Regarding Wake On LAN: the HP MediaSmart Server EX47x series servers are designed to be left running 24/7/365. The EX48x series support Wake On LAN. If Wake On LAN is a requirement, you may want to consider upgrading.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 3:18 PM
  • Hi, I had the same problem with shutdown when transferring large files to the EX470 plus random shutdowns.

I had upgraded the EX470 with 2Gb memory and a new processor 2.6GHz AMD LE-1640 Orleans and didn’t see this problem at first, the processor was running great, at normal values on temp etc

After changing back to the original processor all my problems disappeared J

Wednesday, December 2, 2009 10:46 AM
  • I have this same issue. I've tried different CPU Memory. and HDD's.

I have also installed the new 3.0 update with no change.

You would know this would start as soon as it was out of warranty.

Saturday, March 27, 2010 5:31 AM
  • Your CPU is probably overheating causing the shutdown.  The most common fault is too apply to much thermal compound when changing CPU or not cleaning the heatsink of old thermal paste.  You may be able to get around this by running the add-in MSS Fan Control.
    --
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 3:55 PM
  • I also have a similar problem with only one computer during backup.  5 other computers on the network back up with no problem, both wired and wireless.  The problem computer is wired and is running Vista Ultimate 64 bit.  It gets through about 10 to 20% and then the WHS computer shuts down.  If I do not try to back up this computer the WHS doesn't shut down even for days.  Power Pack 3 is installed.  I have examined the power settings for the WHS and everything seems proper.  I have run out of ideas to try.

build my own
    • Edited by EdintheDesert Wednesday, May 19, 2010 7:42 PM Added clarifying info
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 7:31 PM
  • I am having similar issues with my 470.  It has upgrade mem(2gb) and upgraded processor. It ran fine until about 9 months ago when it started randomly becoming unresponsive.  The server appears on (lights are on) but doesn't response to pings and no remote access or drive access is possible.  I always end up reseting it.   When I bring it back up there are no errors in the event viewer.  Upgraded to HP's 3.0 software, which was a pain to do since the installer didn't work well.  But even on the new 3.0 software I still get random lock ups.  I would guess it happens when there is a high data transfer happening but i have no real proof of that.  In fact after installing the HP 3.0 software a few days ago I transfered 30gigs of data to the server without an issue and pc backups seem to work fine.
    Robert Ward
    Monday, May 24, 2010 12:40 PM
  • Your CPU is probably overheating causing the shutdown.  The most common fault is to apply too much thermal compound when changing CPU or not cleaning the heatsink of old thermal paste.  You may be able to get around this by running the add-in MSS Fan Control.
    --
    • Edited by Al West Monday, May 24, 2010 1:51 PM
    Monday, May 24, 2010 1:32 PM
  • Just installed the MSS Fan control and set it to optimal.  Will see what happens.  May order some new thermal paste and re-apply.  Will post results, unfortunately my WHS locks up randomly so I could go a week without an issue, so may not post results for awhile.
    Robert Ward
    Monday, May 24, 2010 1:38 PM
  • You can run a program like Prime95 to load the CPU to 100% for a period of time, thus building up heat - if that is the issue.
    --
    Monday, May 24, 2010 1:50 PM