none
Server Reinstall broken? RRS feed

• Question

• I just had to reinstall my server, and it seems to be broken.

My install disc has Power Pack 1 included, but the server had PP2 installed at the time, could that be screwing things up?

Basically, during the install I got Windows error messages, but I ignored them at the time.  Then, when WHS finished installing, I got more error messages that first Windows Home Server Preserver Service has had an error in whsarch.exe, and then just Microsoft Windows Operating System has had an error in demigrator.exe.

I clicked to report them all, and eventually they went away (same errors repeated probably 20 times) and figured maybe if I installed my LAN drivers and ran Windows Update, then it'd upgrade to PP2 and the errors would go away.  Unfortunately, they haven't.  I assume because of this, the Drive Extender Migrator service never starts either.

Also, when I open up the console, I get that 4 of my drives (the ones which are connected to my two PCI 4x SATA cards;  they're on two separate cards because the fifth drive was dying and had to be RMAed) aren't added to the pool.  See below:
     Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

This is the same way (with the spaces in the drive names) that they appeared on the old install, so I don't know what is going on.

And if anyone thinks I did something wrong during the server reinstallation, it showed my drives attached to the motherboard, so I put the SATA drivers for my cards onto a USB drive, and then added the drivers.  The setup window showed the three drives attached to one card, so I hit the drivers button again and picked the same driver hoping it'd recognize to load it for the other card.  It gave me a little message about needing to restart something, so I hit okay, and assumed it'd restart whatever on its own, but nothing happened, so I then looked at the list which was showing all of my drives and hit okay and then continued with the server reinstallation.

I'm wondering if maybe I should try again and temporarily switch the drive that's on the second card to the first card and see if it works properly then?  Or maybe I should try using nLite or something to integrate the drivers into the setup disc?  (Edit:   nLite doesn't work with WHS apparently, so I'd have to integrate the driver another way).

I really have no idea what might help, so if anyone has any suggestions, please help.
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 10:43 PM

Answers

• For some reason, using an older version of the SATA card driver (and then upgrading that driver when the install is finished) appears to have fixed it.
    • Marked as answer by JHoff80 Thursday, April 9, 2009 3:56 PM
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 3:03 PM

All replies

• I just had to reinstall my server, and it seems to be broken.

My install disc has Power Pack 1 included, but the server had PP2 installed at the time, could that be screwing things up?

No.

Basically, during the install I got Windows error messages, but I ignored them at the time.

Why would you ignore error messages?  That's never a good idea (especially during installation).

Then, when WHS finished installing, I got more error messages that first Windows Home Server Preserver Service has had an error in whsarch.exe, and then just Microsoft Windows Operating System has had an error in demigrator.exe.

I clicked to report them all, and eventually they went away (same errors repeated probably 20 times) and figured maybe if I installed my LAN drivers and ran Windows Update, then it'd upgrade to PP2 and the errors would go away.  Unfortunately, they haven't.  I assume because of this, the Drive Extender Migrator service never starts either.

That's a definite possibility.

Also, when I open up the console, I get that 4 of my drives (the ones which are connected to my two PCI 4x SATA cards;  they're on two separate cards because the fifth drive was dying and had to be RMAed) aren't added to the pool.  See below:
     Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

This is the same way (with the spaces in the drive names) that they appeared on the old install, so I don't know what is going on.

On your old install, 4 of your drives showed up as "Not Added"?  If that's correct, your old installation definitely had problems (and it could explain your current situation as well).

And if anyone thinks I did something wrong during the server reinstallation, it showed my drives attached to the motherboard, so I put the SATA drivers for my cards onto a USB drive, and then added the drivers.

To clarify:  after you installed the necessary drivers on the Load Additional Storage Drivers screen, it showed all 8 hard drives?

The setup window showed the three drives attached to one card, so I hit the drivers button again and picked the same driver hoping it'd recognize to load it for the other card.  It gave me a little message about needing to restart something, so I hit okay, and assumed it'd restart whatever on its own, but nothing happened, so I then looked at the list which was showing all of my drives and hit okay and then continued with the server reinstallation.

I'm wondering if maybe I should try again and temporarily switch the drive that's on the second card to the first card and see if it works properly then?

I wouldn't.  My suggestion would be to do another Server Reinstallation the way you have the hardware now and go slowly (make sure you know what you're doing) and, more importantly, don't ignore error messages.  If you get stuck or unsure, come back for more assistance before you proceed.

Or maybe I should try using nLite or something to integrate the drivers into the setup disc?  (Edit:   nLite doesn't work with WHS apparently, so I'd have to integrate the driver another way).

I really have no idea what might help, so if anyone has any suggestions, please help.

Thursday, April 9, 2009 12:48 AM
  • The error message which I ignored was because it disappeared before I could read it, since it says at a certain point that it can be left alone and it'll complete the install.  When I came back, I saw an error message just as it was rebooting, which means that I didn't get to see what it was and just ignored it to see if it reinstalled correctly, which it obviously didn't.

On the old install, no the drives all showed up as healthy.  What I meant is the names of the drives are identical to the way in which they showed with the old install.  In other words, the spaces within the drive names were all there, so it's not that it was recognized differently from the old install.

After I installed the drivers, yes, it showed all 8 drives and their appropriate volumes (two volumes for drive 0, one volume for the rest).

And to clarify, on the install, the Drive Extender Migrator doesn't start up at all, I was just theorizing that the reason was because of those errors.

And... I do know exactly what I'm doing.  I've had to do a server reinstall once in the past before (back before PP2 came out) and it worked entirely fine.  I didn't have two of the SATA cards at the time, but everything worked fine the last time I did it, and the initial time I installed it.

I'll try installing it again tomorrow though.
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 1:12 AM
  • For some reason, using an older version of the SATA card driver (and then upgrading that driver when the install is finished) appears to have fixed it.
    • Marked as answer by JHoff80 Thursday, April 9, 2009 3:56 PM
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 3:03 PM