Permissions Reset? RRS feed

• Question

• Very strange and I am pretty sure this is not by design.

If I RDP into my box & add a permission to the Photos share for say: test with read/write access the permission get sreset a few days later.

I know this sounds trange but it's true I can set the permission and check back a few hour later and it is still there but at some point it resets.

Still can't figure out the exact point but i am wondering why this keeps doing this.

Any suggestions?

Saturday, March 15, 2008 1:51 AM

Answers

•  JonTheTech wrote:
    Yes & No.

Originally to set the permissions YES.

But then I went in via RDP to edit them because I just prefer that over the console.

Maybe I "must" use the console?

You should.  I have seen other people have the same problem you're having by not using the Console.  What has worked for me is to alter the permissions on a folder inside one of the WHS shares.

JonTheTech wrote:
    That seems rather limiting being on NTFS mount and only have 4 permissions vs ntfs permissions. (23??)

Actually, it's only 3 (no access, read access, full access).  I believe one of the functions of the storage manager is to make sure permissions match what WHS allows (which is why every time I run the storage server diagnostic, I get a Tombstone ACL Doesn't Match QSM for each file in the folder where I set the permissions manually).

You need to keep in mind the target audience of the server:  people who know nothing about permissions in the first place.

Saturday, March 15, 2008 2:24 AM

All replies

•  JonTheTech wrote:
    Very strange and I am pretty sure this is not by design.

If I RDP into my box & add a permission to the Photos share for say: test with read/write access the permission get sreset a few days later.

I know this sounds trange but it's true I can set the permission and check back a few hour later and it is still there but at some point it resets.

Still can't figure out the exact point but i am wondering why this keeps doing this.

Any suggestions?

Are you using the Console to set your permissions?

Saturday, March 15, 2008 2:03 AM
  • Yes & No.

But then I went in via RDP to edit them because I just prefer that over the console.

That seems rather limiting being on NTFS mount and only have 4 permissions vs ntfs permissions. (23??)
    Saturday, March 15, 2008 2:13 AM
  •  JonTheTech wrote:
    Yes & No.

You should.  I have seen other people have the same problem you're having by not using the Console.  What has worked for me is to alter the permissions on a folder inside one of the WHS shares.

JonTheTech wrote:

Actually, it's only 3 (no access, read access, full access).  I believe one of the functions of the storage manager is to make sure permissions match what WHS allows (which is why every time I run the storage server diagnostic, I get a Tombstone ACL Doesn't Match QSM for each file in the folder where I set the permissions manually).

You need to keep in mind the target audience of the server:  people who know nothing about permissions in the first place.

Saturday, March 15, 2008 2:24 AM
  • Backdooring the Windows Home Server Console around user permissions can get you in a real mess.  I would never recommend it.   

Saturday, March 15, 2008 2:46 AM
  • Ok.

I know I am using my system outside of support from go.

Running php+mysl on it hehe. I was just curious that's all.

I will make sure I keep the permissions managed via the console and go from there.

Thanks for the update.
    Saturday, March 15, 2008 11:27 AM