Fresh install of XP within a Windows 8 Pro Hyper-V virtual machine won't activate. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a new Windows 8 computer that I've upgraded to Pro so I can use Hyper-V to virtualize an install of Windows XP.  I have XP installed.  I have SP3 installed.  I have Integration Services installed.  I have Time Synchronization enabled.  It's getting updates through Automatic Updates.  It refuses to activate giving error 32777.  I've checked the time and date just in case and it's correct.  Am I missing something, or has Microsoft turned off the Windows XP Activation servers?

In case you are wondering, it's Microsoft's fault I'm having to run XP.  We have a home grown accounting system that was started in a DBase clone and eventually migrated to MS FoxPro 2.6 which runs the DBase code.  Microsoft, in creating FoxPro 3 completely abandoned the DBase code and went to Visual Basic.  So Our 10 years of code couldn't move forward.  Next Microsoft, on it's 64-bit OSs decided not to support 16-bit windows programs. FoxPro 2.6 is 16-bit.  So now I have to have an old OS in a VM to run our accounting system.  XP is the oldest OS that still has Integration Support, and at least has minimal quirks running FoxPro 2.6.

Thursday, August 28, 2014 6:18 PM

Answers

• My region is correct.  I opted to use the Activate by Phone option and that worked.

I wouldn't call this a complete answer, but the forum I was directed to indicates that Microsoft isn't listening to it any more... So...

• Edited by Frank_Work Friday, August 29, 2014 6:09 PM
    • Marked as answer by Frank_Work Friday, August 29, 2014 6:09 PM
    Friday, August 29, 2014 6:08 PM

All replies