Shared Folders within \\Server\Users\ RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have a home network with five clients, four are Windows XP SP2 and one is Vista Home Premium.  In the Home Server Console "Shared Folders" tab, only four of these machines show up as entries in \\Server\Users\, one of the XP machines is missing for some reason.  I can, of course, create a shared folder for the missing machine under it's logon name, but then it appears at the top directory level instead of under the Users subfolder.  How do I create a shared folder for this one peculiar machine that lives in the Users subfolder like all the others?  (Is it as simple as creating the folder on the Server login and then just moving it to the Users subdirectory? 

Thanks!

Sunday, June 15, 2008 9:40 PM

Answers

• I was able to resolve this problem, apparently something went wrong with my original installation of the Connector software or the creation of the User account for this one computer on my network.  I un-installed Connector, removed the computer and user account at the server, then re-entered the user account and re-installed the Connector software at the computer, and everything is working correctly now, or at least appears to be (I'll know for sure after tonight's backup!)

Monday, June 16, 2008 4:07 AM

All replies

•  randelf wrote:
    I have a home network with five clients, four are Windows XP SP2 and one is Vista Home Premium.  In the Home Server Console "Shared Folders" tab, only four of these machines show up as entries in \\Server\Users\, one of the XP machines is missing for some reason.

Shared Folders are not based on computer names.  They are based on user accounts created inside the WHS Console.

randelf wrote:
    I can, of course, create a shared folder for the missing machine under it's logon name, but then it appears at the top directory level instead of under the Users subfolder.  How do I create a shared folder for this one peculiar machine that lives in the Users subfolder like all the others?

In order for the new share to be a subfolder of Users, you would need to create a new user account.

randelf wrote:
    (Is it as simple as creating the folder on the Server login and then just moving it to the Users subdirectory? 

Thanks!

Sunday, June 15, 2008 11:05 PM
  • But this computer was added as a new user account, and backups are working fine for it, why doesn't it show up in the Users subdirectory?  I'm quite certain I didn't delete it...

Monday, June 16, 2008 12:05 AM
  • I was able to resolve this problem, apparently something went wrong with my original installation of the Connector software or the creation of the User account for this one computer on my network.  I un-installed Connector, removed the computer and user account at the server, then re-entered the user account and re-installed the Connector software at the computer, and everything is working correctly now, or at least appears to be (I'll know for sure after tonight's backup!)

Monday, June 16, 2008 4:07 AM
  •  randelf wrote:
    I was able to resolve this problem, apparently something went wrong with my original installation of the Connector software or the creation of the User account for this one computer on my network.  I un-installed Connector, removed the computer and user account at the server, then re-entered the user account and re-installed the Connector software at the computer, and everything is working correctly now, or at least appears to be (I'll know for sure after tonight's backup!)

As I said before, shares are not based on computer names at all.  They are based on user accounts created in the WHS console.  If it's doing anything else other than that, there is definitely something wrong with your installation.

Monday, June 16, 2008 4:58 AM