XP PKAC - Suggestion to Microsoft RRS feed

• Question

• Our network has approx. 300+ workstations with XP Pro x32 installed, we have a VLK we use. We have a handful of XP Pro 64 Bit systems for Graphics use. So, there's copies of x64 (which are not VLK) which through several upgrading of systems, we need to determine which x64 copies have been used and which have not. We do not affix the COA to PC's as the OS often is reloaded when hardware is upgraded & users have taken them off in the past.

Why can't Microsoft have a resource available that will allow I.T. professionals (legit ones & not PK hackers) the capability to research if a PK has been used w/o it actually going through the WGA or OS Validation? A site, an e-mail correspondance or something to that effect which allows a PK to be given and a response of whether it's previously been activated or not. On Retail or OEM versions of XP this would be quite helpful.

I understand there are other I.T. professionals who have had similar situations where they would just like to legitimately verify with Microsoft if an in hand OS has been previously activated.

Thanks for you time & I look forward to your thoughts!

John

Sunday, February 3, 2008 8:08 PM

Answers

All replies

• Microsoft Software Inventory Analyzer: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/sam/msia.mspx

Sunday, February 3, 2008 8:28 PM
  • Thanks! I will check that out! Is the request for PK identification through MS something that has been addressed before? I have 50+ machines over the capabilities of the SIA, and something as previously mentioned would be nice!

John

Sunday, February 3, 2008 8:41 PM
  • AZ Admin,

Since you have a CoA to affix to the PC, you are using OEM licenses for your XP 64 bit installations.  If your VL agreement does not cover these installations, don't forget that OEM licenses are limited in the extent to which their hardware can be upgraded.

Monday, February 4, 2008 12:10 AM