none
YourName.homeserver.com Domain RRS feed

• Question

• It seems the home server push was thrown under the bus or it did not take hold.  Whatever the case, does Microsoft have any legal binding to continue to operate the domain so many of us use to access our servers?  Has there been any talk in terminating the domain?  If for some reason they do how can you continue to use your server whether you use the software installed on your PC or use an appliance with it preinstalled?

It was just a thought that entered my mind and surely there are other inquiring minds who'd like to know the fate of their homeserver domain.

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 3:41 AM

All replies

• homeserver.com domain is currently properly registered for my servers, although sometimes have been temporary outages in the past. I assume, at least as long as the official product support for WHS lasts, the domain name will be fine - what happens after that time, stays up to Microsoft. (I would assume, they will be patient enough to sit out the obsolescence of the most supported hardware)

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 5:45 PM
  • Olaf,

Is that still the case? I can't hit my home server through my .homeserver.com website. I haven't been able to for a few days. I also see that there is currently nothing (was there ever?) at homeserver.com or www.homeserver.com.

www.sflesch.com

Friday, October 12, 2012 3:39 PM
  • I did yesterday afternoon (it's after 1 AM here) access my homeserver.com address successfully (website.xxx.xxx) - but currently the device is on sleep and I will follow soon.

Olaf

Friday, October 12, 2012 11:34 PM
  • Thanks. I can't seem toconnect to my personalized name, so I wanted to make sure it was still up.

www.sflesch.com

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 9:48 PM
  • I also can't connect to my xxx.homeserver.com domain name and my WHS box.  where do we go to see if it is still up and running?

the mighty man

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 6:24 AM
  • A good workaround is to configure a dyndns domain in your router (if it supports this).

Then, if you ping that domain, the router should respond with the same IP address as the homeserver.com domain assigned with the same location.

If this is not the case, either the server did not reregister after change of IP address or something else is wrong with the server (port forward configuration, server down, whatever).

You can even try to login through this router based dyndns domain, if you ignore the Certificate mismatch warnings.

Olaf

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 8:56 AM