MCTS in ".NET Framework 3.5 ASP .NET Applications" or ".NET Framework 4, Web Applications"? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all. I'm trying to shift my career towards web development and I think getting a certification would be nice on my Resume to impress my future employer as I have no actual experience in it. I'm thinking of getting a MCTS certification in Web Development but I'm confused which one to choose from the below:

-MCTS: .NET Framework 3.5 ASP .NET Applications (Exam 70-536 and 70-562)
     Or
    -MCTS: .NET Framework 4, Web Applications (Exam 70-515)

I know HTML,CSS and C# and have taken an ASP.NET class in university and done a couple of basic ASP.NET websites as university projects.

My questions are:
    1-What's the difference between ASP .NET Applications and Web Applications?
    2-Wouldn't it make more sense to pick the second option since it tackles the newest .NET framework AND needs only one exam?

Thank you in advance for any clarification you can provide.

Monday, October 11, 2010 8:57 PM

Answers

• Hi Fadi,

both exams are possible and you can freely choose, what you want to do. A few arguments could be:

- The old Visual Studio 2008 exams have more Books. (I think the 70-515 Self-Paced tRaining Kit is now available but I just heared it and didn't check it on my own so far! So maybe this argument is no longer valid for 70-515!)

- Maybe you have much more experience with Visual Studio 2008 / .Net Framework 3.5. Microsoft did some nice enhancements regarding Web Development so that could be a valid argument. BUT: This could also be an argument to learn for the new exam so you know the latest technology!

- Maybe you want to get the MCPD title and then the 3.5 exams could be easier. Just 3 exams. But you will simply miss a lot that will be part of the MCPD with Visual Studio 2010! (e.g. WCF)

- You get the MCTS directly after one exam instead of two!

I would go for the latest technology if I had to do the decision.

I hope that helped a little,

Konrad

• Proposed as answer by Tristan Min Tuesday, October 19, 2010 2:21 AM
    • Marked as answer by Niall MerriganMVP Tuesday, October 19, 2010 7:58 AM
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 7:34 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi Fadi,

both exams are possible and you can freely choose, what you want to do. A few arguments could be:

- The old Visual Studio 2008 exams have more Books. (I think the 70-515 Self-Paced tRaining Kit is now available but I just heared it and didn't check it on my own so far! So maybe this argument is no longer valid for 70-515!)

- Maybe you have much more experience with Visual Studio 2008 / .Net Framework 3.5. Microsoft did some nice enhancements regarding Web Development so that could be a valid argument. BUT: This could also be an argument to learn for the new exam so you know the latest technology!

- Maybe you want to get the MCPD title and then the 3.5 exams could be easier. Just 3 exams. But you will simply miss a lot that will be part of the MCPD with Visual Studio 2010! (e.g. WCF)

- You get the MCTS directly after one exam instead of two!

I would go for the latest technology if I had to do the decision.

I hope that helped a little,

Konrad

• Proposed as answer by Tristan Min Tuesday, October 19, 2010 2:21 AM
    • Marked as answer by Niall MerriganMVP Tuesday, October 19, 2010 7:58 AM
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 7:34 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi Konrad,

Thanks for your reply. I have been looking for this answer!

I will go for 70-515 :)

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 2:21 AM