none
Toolbar Icons with no color? RRS feed

• Question

• Why the change?   I did not go back to a B&W TV or B&W pictures.   With your reasoning, we should throw out our color things and go with B&W.   It does not look more aesthetically pleasing than the color icons.  This seems to be backwards.  No matter how long I use it I can't get adjusted to the new icons.   It is harder to find the icon when they are all the same.  I may continue using my 2009 version or go to another brand.
    Friday, September 21, 2012 4:38 AM

All replies

• It's supposed to be a more "metro" style look to be consistent with the new style Windows 8.

I was kind of ambivalent about the change myself and that was my first reaction as well. Now however I actually find the new ones much easier to find and describe. I do a lot of training, and with the old buttons, especially if they are small, it's kind of visual chaos with all the differently colored icons. Now I think it's easier to spot for people when I say click on "the Gear" icon, the car, the arrow, the target, etc.

Anyway, I'm sure you could get GUI design people to argue either way, and I'm not a design person, but the new button style does look cleaner to me and easier. That said, it would not have been anywhere near the top of my priority list of things to improve in MapPoint, but what do I know :-)

Eric

http://www.mapforums.com

Saturday, September 22, 2012 11:59 PM
  • He's talking about the button icons, not pushpin symbols

http://www.mapforums.com

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 2:54 PM
  • Why the change?   I did not go back to a B&W TV or B&W pictures.   With your reasoning, we should throw out our color things and go with B&W.   It does not look more aesthetically pleasing than the color icons.  This seems to be backwards.  No matter how long I use it I can't get adjusted to the new icons.   It is harder to find the icon when they are all the same.  I may continue using my 2009 version or go to another brand.

I agree...........designers need to apply their attention to something else "that's broken or needs help" like speading up the auto re-route. Or just plan works faster. Come-on give us out buttons back.

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 4:33 PM