off topic - Phantom virus?? RRS feed

• General discussion

• This started two days ago. Suddenly, I couldn't access my hotmail as the page would be blank; the font on Google was wrong and anything I clicked there brought up a separate window which re-directed me to somewhere totally different; some sites won't come up at all, especially those related to virus scan/removal. There's also a random clicking sound, as though the computer is attempting to access a webpage, even if there's no browser open. The strangest thing, though, is that twice there has been the audio track of a show - first, a car show and then a news broadcast - playing on the computer that I did not access and no media player nor browser was running.

I received no alert from Avast and upon scan, it detected nothing but tracking cookies. (Avast is now uninstalled and deleted from my machine, replaced with AVG) I used the Windows safety scanner and it found and fixed something before I could see what it was, but the problem remains. AVG finds nothing. Spybot found Win32.Agent.pz and said it fixed the problem, but it remains. I've tried to download the Microsoft Virus and Spyware Removal Tool but whatever this thing is won't allow the download.

I don't know what else to do and I'm limited because whatever I've picked up is blocking websites from me. Is there anything I can do or is a reformat my only option?

Any help/guidance would be tremendously appreciated!

**Addition** I did attempt a system restore and got as far as being able to choose the restore point but then nothing would happen, the screen just sat there; this occurred with three different restore points, all dated in the last week. After running what scans and cleaners I could, I attempted restore again only to find that the only restore points I now have are in the last two days since the problem began.

Thursday, September 18, 2008 12:13 PM

All replies

• Hello Julie, what you describe certainly sounds like a malware infection. You might try calling the Microsoft Security Hotline for help -1866-727-2338. Since this forum is for the discussion of Windows Live One care I will move this post to the of topic folder.

Thursday, September 18, 2008 3:27 PM