moving whs to new computer RRS feed

• Question

• Love WHS BUT

Been having failures with current oem whs computer.

not sure if drives or mother board (now can't boot up due to ntoskrnl.exe error)

So I want to install WHS on new computer.

What is lost and what can I recover???

Had 6 computer backed up.

Had media stored

had all my installs stored.

install whs on new computer with only single drive to start with?

when do I add drives from defective whs computer?

Can I recover any backups?

Thanks,

Ray

Thursday, February 28, 2008 3:18 PM

All replies

• Firstly,if you have already registered your WHS, you will need to re-register over the phone the second time around.

You can install WHS onto a single drive, (which is currently the best option because of the corruption issue). After that, you can add your old drives to the server but don't add them to the storage pool. In this case, your existing data will still exist and so can be copied across to your new installation. After you are satisfied with the transfer, you can then add that drive to your storage pool. This procedure can be repeated for any other drives.

The backups cannot be transferred, well, they can, but the new server will not recognise them as backups. Your first step would then be to run Manual Backups from your Clients which will have to be re-registered with your new server. This can be achieved by running 'Discovery.exe' from the Windows Home Server folder on your Client machines.

HTH,

Colin

Thursday, February 28, 2008 6:10 PM
  • I did not have to re-register. It accepted the new install.

Thanks, That is about what I thought I would have to do.

I switched to WHS because of backup and the fact that if a drive was failing (other than sys)

I could tell WHS I wanted to replace a drive, then it would move everything off that drive allowing

me then to install replacement drive. Then it would re-balance the whole system again.

I wish I could do this with sys drive. I hate to go raid but what other choice?

Thanks,

Ray

Thursday, February 28, 2008 10:22 PM