Replacement disk drive RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have a box i backed up with a NVRAID 0 of 460+GB, but I'm only using 150GB, and I excluded 80GB of my backup.  I read someone was able to do a restore from a 200GB drive to an 80 but not a 40.  Can we get some more info on how the restore wizard calculates if it can do a restore on a target disk?  I'd live to get off the NVRAID it has been a pain ever since I installed it, but I can't shrink the partition and I don't have a drive larget than 250GB.
    Saturday, March 3, 2007 5:26 AM

All replies

• Was this a stupid question or does no one know n answer?  Did I miss this in the docs somewhere?
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 3:22 PM
  • I've seen reports of people having trouble doing a system restore to a disk smaller than the backup, but I've also seen reports of people who haven't had any problems. So YMMV.

That said, what you want to do is reconfigure your disk subsystem. There's a good chance that trying what you want to do will result in a blue screen when you try to reboot. For such a major change to your system, you'd be better off just rebuilding the machine and restoring data only. You'd clear out any leftover drivers that way, old registry entries, programs you no longer use, etc. To me, the system restore feature of WHS is more for the "OMG, my desktop crashed!" swap in a new drive for the dead one and restore scenario.
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 3:46 PM
  • I'm not planning on wiping the Raid 0, I have a 3rd 250GB drive.  I think it  may need a low level format though vista will not install to it but the vista recovery tools can see it, I will try the low level format and then see if it can do the restore and report back.
    Monday, March 5, 2007 3:44 PM