When network is disconnected console won't start. Workaround? RRS feed

• Question

• For troubleshooting purposes I've been working a lot on the WHS itself with the networkcable unplugged. When calling up the console it crashes and the eventviewer shows an error from .net 2.0. When I reattach the network cable the console starts. When the console is started it does not matter anymore if I the cable is connected or not.

anyone know why this is and if there's a workaround?

Friday, May 14, 2010 9:11 AM

All replies

• It sounds to me like your "work" on the server has caused problems. I don't claim to be a guru, but have run WHS successfully since the CTP release. The only problems I've had were related to a couple of Add Ins. After uninstalling them, no other problems. Had a couple of "bad" XP installs that caused backup problems, but after fresh reinstall of XP, those issues went away too. 

I hate to say this, but I would try a reinstall of WHS and see what happens and if repaired, then I would stay out of the server as much as possible.

Cruise

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Friday, May 14, 2010 2:38 PM
  • The reason I "work" on the WHS is because there IS a problem. Not the other way around....check my other posts for the problems....
    Friday, May 14, 2010 3:44 PM
  • If you're having other problems causing you to "work" on your WHS, then I would recommend a reinstall. If you don't have a lot of data stored on the server, maybe a wipe and new installation would cure the problems.

I've not seen your other posts. Is this a home built server?  Possibly a hardware problem?

Just trying to help out, but if you don't want my suggestions, let me know, I'll butt out!

Cruise

Saturday, May 15, 2010 2:44 PM
  • Workaround in this situation (if it is really the failing network connectivity and not the attempt to access the router etc) would be to assign a fixed IP address to the network interface and disable mediasense.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Saturday, May 15, 2010 10:01 PM