Log and firewall RRS feed

• Question

• I want to hook up the home server, so that I have control over the amount of time my kids are on the computer, and to log and firewall where they go.

Is that possible?

If so, how?

Monday, April 20, 2009 10:07 PM

Answers

• Windows Home Server doesn't offer any way of implementing centralized parental control of childrens' Internet use, I'm afraid.

I believe Vista has some parental control features, though. Probably the best answer is just to monitor your kids' usage; you're unlikely to find a solution on the market that's going to give you exactly the control you're looking for, and any lists of blocked sites or applications is going to be out of date within days (minutes, probably).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, April 20, 2009 10:23 PM

All replies

• Windows Home Server doesn't offer any way of implementing centralized parental control of childrens' Internet use, I'm afraid.

I believe Vista has some parental control features, though. Probably the best answer is just to monitor your kids' usage; you're unlikely to find a solution on the market that's going to give you exactly the control you're looking for, and any lists of blocked sites or applications is going to be out of date within days (minutes, probably).

Monday, April 20, 2009 10:23 PM

Thank you for the reply. I must tell you, that is very short sighted of microsoft. It removes the whole need for a home server, all you need is a sharable drive. I don't see the advantage of WHS without these capabilities
    Monday, April 20, 2009 10:52 PM
  • Thank you for the reply. I must tell you, that is very short sighted of microsoft. It removes the whole need for a home server, all you need is a sharable drive. I don't see the advantage of WHS without these capabilities

You can always post your suggestion on Connect.  As for the features it does come with, you should check the documentation/demo here.
    Monday, April 20, 2009 11:56 PM