ConsolidateProjects prompting for an unwanted save RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running under Project Server 2010. The projects have all been previously saved off the server as MPPs and this process runs against them while still connected to the project server.  All "saves" are done to off-server directories.

I have a VBA process that builds multiple master schedules using the consolidateprojects function to combine multiple MPP files found in different folders into one schedule. The VBA code processes the MPPs from one folder into the master schedule with no issue, when I go to incorporate the MPP files from a second folder, each time the consolidateprojects command runs, it prompts for a "Save to Project Server" dialog box.  Clicking the "cancel" button on the save dialogue, allows the VBA code to continue and does not impact the content of the master schedule, which is successfully saved into it's directory.

Other than the variable names being different (specific to their own consolidateprojects statement) the 2 statements are the same.  The other parameters used in both are:  NewWindow:=False, AttachToSources:=False, HideSubtasks:=True

The master schedule is built properly and has all of the MPPs in it as expected.

Looking for any thoughts as to what might be causing the consolidateprojects statement to cause the "Save" dialogue popup in one situation, but not the other.

Thanks in advance, 

Dan

Monday, August 3, 2020 5:54 PM

All replies

• Dan,

The part that's killing you is the "off-server directories". I tried a simple test of inserting a single Project file (unlinkded) located on a remote server and I got an equivalent message (i.e. do you want to save changes). I even tried inserting the file as read only but that didn't help.

I also tried using the SendKeys statement and the DisplayAlerts property but neither worked.

I would say that if dealing with the message isn't a killer, answer the alert and press on. Otherwise, load all the files into a single directory and then do your process.

Hope this helps.

John

Monday, August 3, 2020 8:30 PM
  • Hi John, 

We actually do all of our schedule management in the the Project Server environment, however we need to deliver integrated schedules to folks that don't have access to our project server environment (and never will).  So we need to create MPP files that they can access. Due to various requirements we have to include active, executing  schedules as well as inactive/completed schedules in the IMS. For competed projects, we keep MPP copies save off line as they are periodically referenced by others that don't have server access. On a Monthly basis, we download all of the active schedules as MPPs and save them folders specific to their programs. We then use the consolidateprojects function to build an integrated master schedule that first adds the active projects (their MPPs) and then adds the completed projects which are stored separate from the active MPPs as well as by program. 

Once all of the various MPPs have been incorporated into the integrated schedule, we save it and deliver it the applicable user community.

I've also tried the methods you mentioned with pretty much the same results. since I get the "save" popup for each completed project being processed, the more closed projects a program has, the more "save" interruptions the process has.   

As you mentioned, it's not a killer as it's only a click of a button, it's the baby sitting that bugs the heck out of me.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts.

Dan

Monday, August 3, 2020 9:56 PM
  • Dan,

Okay I just tried something else that's a little dicey but it appears to work. If I consolidate remote server files into a dynamic master (i.e. linked) and then after the master is completely built sequentially unlink each with this extremely complex code, it seems to work (i.e. no pop-ups).

John

Sub Unlink()
    Dim sp As Subproject
    For Each sp In ActiveProject.Subprojects
        sp.LinkToSource = False
    Next sp
    End Sub

Tuesday, August 4, 2020 2:11 AM