upgrading from standard to ent 2007 to R2 (pool exists, db in use)? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having a bear of a time as i expected to (after a similar question i asked), with this upgrade i'm trying to do.

First the layout of how i have things or will have things:

Current config:
    Pool:  vsocs01.domain.local
    Installed 2007 standard on VSocs01 (sql db and database file/logs same box)

New config:
    Pool:  vsocs02.domain.local
    Trying to install 2007 enterprise r2 on VSOCS02 (just app tier)..
    SQL DB:  2008 sql on OCS instance on VSSQLPROD01

It is my understanding that i should just create a new installation, in my case on VSOCS02 of enterprise R2.. pointing the database to the OCS instance.. I would then somehow? later migrate existing users over to the new pool/version?

Here is what i have run into..

When i try to setup the pool name of vsocs02, it bombs at the end, stating that:
    Specified pool FQDN has already been assigned to computer object in pool's domain  0xC3EC7972

I then ran an lcscmd to remove the name (not sure why its in there), it said it suceeded, but i still cant use that name.  Not sure what to do.. i thought the name should be the same as the computer name, though i have found that calling it vsocs02pool does work..

I think i may have to also do another step before this.. creating srv records etc? Is this the case, as i think i have the old pool in there but not this one?

If i use a different name it proceeds.. i point it to the OCS instance on the remote sql.. it bombs says another instance is active there..  (this OCS instance, i initially tried to migrate the 2007 databases that were on the vsocs01 box from 2005 sql to 2008.. i since then deleted the databases to start over, but i still get the warning and it will fail in the end)..

The sql portion causes an issue in the end:
    Specified back-end for the pool is currently being used by another pool.  0xC3EC78BA  (this is despite deleting the 3 db's from the instance)..

So my question is 2 fold..

What do i do about the pool name.. do i just need to create dns entries and it will stop complaining if i use the same name as the computer..

What do i do about the sql issue.. is it simply to wipe out/uninstall the OCS instance and reinstall it fresh and clean and try again?

Thanks very much in advance here

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 2:44 PM

All replies

•  

OCS 2007 RTM and R2 can live in a side-by-side coexistence scenario within the same AD. Because of the database schema change in R2 and SQL Server 2005 SP2 or SQL Server 2008 is needed, it is recommended that a separate db server be setup to support an enterprise R2 pool. It is possible to use an existing SQL db installation that meets the aforementioned criteria since the R2 EE setup will automatically create an SQL instance for the enterprise pool.

Hope this helps. Do let us know. Thanks.

http://www.leedesmond.com
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 11:04 PM
  •  

OCS 2007 RTM and R2 can live in a side-by-side coexistence scenario within the same AD. Because of the database schema change in R2 and SQL Server 2005 SP2 or SQL Server 2008 is needed, it is recommended that a separate db server be setup to support an enterprise R2 pool. It is possible to use an existing SQL db installation that meets the aforementioned criteria since the R2 EE setup will automatically create an SQL instance for the enterprise pool.

Hope this helps. Do let us know. Thanks.

http://www.leedesmond.com

thanks, i ended up removing the sql 2008 installation, reinstalling it.. leaving the old ocs alone.. through some tinkering i got things working with enterprise version of r2.. i then migrated the users.. granted i lost things like users groups etc, but that is minor.

I'm now evaluating what i need to do an edge server and group chat (i'm assuming two separate boxes for these obviously).

Thanks for the tip.

Thursday, May 14, 2009 12:21 AM