SBS 2003 Fax service - Line busy when dial RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

We've re-build our SBS 2003 server and got everything up and running as it were before.  The only problem is that now that either the modem or the fax sevice is "blocking" the telephone line.  I've set up the fax service to receive and to send.  When I send from the server all is 100% working.  The service is working and all seems fine.  But when I dial the line from any other phone, where the modem should pick up, it gives me a busy signal as soon as it starts to ring.

Can anyone please help.  This seems to be a stupid setting somewhere, or maybe a stupid operator...but I urgently need to resolve this as we use our fax line extensively.

Kind regards,

Robert Curlewis

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 8:26 AM

All replies

• I would plug a regular telephone into the phone line and try to call it. See if you can answer a regular call to that phone.

If not- then the problem is with your phone line.

If the call does go through - I would try a different modem.

Faxing from SBS server is rather simple in that it just works - there isn't a lot of troubleshooting or specific things you can do to fix problems like this. Most of the problems that I have had with faxing from SBS have been hardware/modem related - solved by trying a different modem.

I've had poor results with external USB modems. I've had the best results with external serial modems like the old school US Robotics modems.

I hope this helps.

-Eric

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 8:10 PM