rich text box and scroll bar.. cant select RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've looked all over google and I cant see this anywhere. I have a rich text box thats being written to VERY rapidly. I want to be able to scroll up (or down) say, and select the text I see. I can't see a property that allows me to do this but I know it has to be possible. Once the user sees red (an error) in the text box, the typically will want to scroll to it, select it and email it to a developer (i.e. me :( ).

thanks for any help

G
    Friday, June 20, 2008 12:05 PM

Answers

•  If you are writing to the RText box very rapidly, this will hinder the user from being able to scroll anywhere and select anything.  It will keep jumping to the bottom as more text gets added.  If you were to pause the writing of the data to the RichTextBox, or better, buffer the data and use a refresh key to update the text box, you would avoid that.  Then the user can select the text, Ctrl-C, and Ctrl-V into their email app.  Or user could press a button and you could use

MessageBox.Show(richTextBox1.SelectedText);
    Friday, June 20, 2008 12:37 PM

All replies

•  If you are writing to the RText box very rapidly, this will hinder the user from being able to scroll anywhere and select anything.  It will keep jumping to the bottom as more text gets added.  If you were to pause the writing of the data to the RichTextBox, or better, buffer the data and use a refresh key to update the text box, you would avoid that.  Then the user can select the text, Ctrl-C, and Ctrl-V into their email app.  Or user could press a button and you could use

MessageBox.Show(richTextBox1.SelectedText);
    Friday, June 20, 2008 12:37 PM
  •  For questions and discussions regarding client application development using Windows Forms controls and features, please see http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=8&SiteID=1

http://www.peterRitchie.com/blog
    Friday, June 20, 2008 1:18 PM
  • sorry about that. Its bookmarked. I'll use that forum from now on.

thanks

g
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008 7:03 AM