Backup Drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have two 1.5 drives in my RC2 server. One is for data and is almost full. I was going to use the other 1.5 for a backup but now am thinking it would be better to use a new 3TB USB DAS drive. The thing I'm not too sure of is:

Will I be able to use the drive for other storage? Or does WHS take the entire drive for itself?

I only have room for two internals in my config so I would rather keep them for future data.

Should I just use a totally seperate USB drive for backup?

Thanks!

Monday, March 14, 2011 7:17 PM

All replies

• As far as I am aware, you allocate a drive to WHS and it takes it all. A separate external HDD for backup seems like your best solution although using the inbuilt backup tools you are limited to a 2GB drive (or a number of 2GB drives, with only one connected at a time).
    Monday, March 14, 2011 7:35 PM
  • Erm, I think you mean 2TB, rather than 2GB... Although you can have "a number of 2GB(TB) drives", you will still be limited to making a total of 2TB as your server backup. The built-in server backup utility in the WHS 2011 dashboard is poorly designed and will not allow you to take 2TB slices of your server storage and backup them up to multiple drives. see here.
    Monday, March 14, 2011 7:43 PM
  • Erm, I think you mean 2TB, rather than 2GB... Although you can have "a number of 2GB(TB) drives", you will still be limited to making a total of 2TB as your server backup. The built-in server backup utility in the WHS 2011 dashboard is poorly designed and will not allow you to take 2TB slices of your server storage and backup them up to multiple drives. see here.
    Victor Indeed I meant 2TB! So what happens if you set up the backup to say back up only one of your shared folders and then remove the backup disk and replace it with another. Can you then only back up the same shared folder that you previously backed up? Phil
    Monday, March 14, 2011 8:33 PM
  • So what happens if you set up the backup to say back up only one of your shared folders and then remove the backup disk and replace it with another. Can you then only back up the same shared folder that you previously backed up?

Yes. You can rotate your backup drives, but you can never backup more than 2TB from your server with the built-in server backup in the Dashboard.

Monday, March 14, 2011 10:10 PM