none
Money Forum Closing on September 23rd RRS feed

• General discussion

• I just looked at a message, and there's a message at the top that the Money Forum will be closing on September 23rd. Why are they doing this?

Bob - MSN Mobile

• Edited by BobSmiley Monday, September 14, 2020 3:13 PM
    Monday, September 14, 2020 3:12 PM

All replies

• The message first appears when you read a message. If you then go back to the home page, THEN you'll see the message there too. But it doesn't show there at first.

Bob - MSN Mobile

Monday, September 14, 2020 3:15 PM
  • I hope this an error!  I see the message too, and can't think of any reason why it would cease.
    Monday, September 14, 2020 3:22 PM
  • This is just a guess but it is possible that Microsoft intend to retire the forums and replace them with Microsoft Q&A.

Jonathan Author of msmquote, an investment quote updater for Microsoft Money

Monday, September 14, 2020 3:29 PM
  • Since Microsoft has dropped all support for Money, I would be surprised if they spent any resources creating a Q&A section for it.  In the other forums I subscribe to that have been replaced, the message did give the name of the Q&A section and a link to it.
    Monday, September 14, 2020 6:06 PM
  • There is a Feedback tab on the right of the screen.  We should all send them a message.
    Tuesday, September 15, 2020 3:34 AM
  • That's sad to read.
    Tuesday, September 15, 2020 6:24 AM
  • My view is that this forum is still of value to people but there's no possibility that Microsoft are going to provide it with a new home after 23 Sep. So -  I've created a Google Group that will enable public discussion and support of Money to continue.

Jonathan
    Author of msmquote, an investment quote updater for Microsoft Money

Tuesday, September 15, 2020 8:06 AM
  • Thanks,

I have signed up.

bobjbkln

Wednesday, September 16, 2020 3:16 AM
  • I hope there is a better alternative. https://groups.google.com/g/microsoft-money seems closed up, and wants to harvest cellphone info.

Anybody can read https://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/2010/10/06/cal-learners-review-fidelity-401k-citi-card-and-vanguard-account-info/

It is not set up with nice forum software to have interactive chronological discussions, but provides useful info.

http://pocketsense.blogspot.com/ is readable by anybody. It is PocketSense oriented, rather than how to navigate Microsoft Money to accomplish Money things.

Wednesday, September 16, 2020 2:11 PM
  • Perhaps use a Facebook group with a moderator to boot off any spam or trolls?

Bob - MSN Mobile

Wednesday, September 16, 2020 2:26 PM
  • Perhaps use a Facebook group with a moderator to boot off any spam or trolls?

Bob - MSN Mobile

Facebook may be worse. Are their groups readable by everybody?

quora.com seems readable.  Pinterest less so.

Independent threads are much easier to follow.

Wednesday, September 16, 2020 2:33 PM
  • The MS Money forum on Google Groups is available publicly without signing into Google, using this link.

Regards,

Jonathan
    Author of msmquote, an investment quote updater for Microsoft Money

Wednesday, September 16, 2020 4:51 PM
  • Aside from finding a new home, I think we should also orgainize an effort to try preserve/archive important/useful threads

My thouhts

• Sticky threads
    • Top-20 threads with most votes
    • Top-20 threas with replies
    • Threads nominated by users.
    Friday, September 18, 2020 4:00 PM
  • I just signed up without needing to give any phone details. It's sad MS don't realise they could earn a decent return if they just updated and re-released Money.

• Edited by SC489 Saturday, September 19, 2020 6:14 AM
    Saturday, September 19, 2020 6:14 AM
  • Yes, very sad that this forum is closing.  Those of us who frequent this forum will be able to connect via the Google group that 36bits set up or with the links that Cal Learner posted above.  But it's going to make it really difficult for casual users to connect and get help.

Does anyone know if closing a forum means that the existing posts will be removed?  If so, is there any way to capture it and copy it to another venu?

Bill Becker

Saturday, September 19, 2020 4:37 PM
  • The Visual C forums closed at the end of August but the old posts are still available for review and the links in posts appear to work.  Will that apply here also?  We will find out in less than a week.
    Saturday, September 19, 2020 10:31 PM
  • Reddit has a Microsoft Money group in place, the group moderator is currently active, would be good to get some posts up there, especially ones related to the complementary 3rd party tools. https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftmoney/
    Sunday, September 20, 2020 7:47 PM