D-Link Rebate Hassles RRS feed

• Question

• I thought Microsoft and others should know about the the way D-link is handling the rebate offer.  After providing all of the information requested on the rebate form and sending it in with all requested information I get a postcard from Dlink telling me that the rebate request was rejected because "The receipt submitted did not show the purchase of PC with Microsoft Vista".  I pulled out my copy of the rebate request  and reread the following directions:

This Mail-In Rebate is valid on purchases of the above listed products at D-LinkShop between 10/25/07 and 5/15/08. To qualify for this rebate,

please make sure you complete ALL of the following steps:

1) Completely fill out this rebate form (PLEASE PRINT)

2) Include a copy of your dated D-LinkShop sales receipt from the qualifying purchase.

3) Include a Photocopy of the UPC CODE from the box of the qualifying products. See below for Sample.

4) Mail ALL of the above required documents to:

This asks for no evidence of the purchase of a PC with Vista installed.  Upon speaking to a representative at the rebate center all he could do was direct me to the language on the rebate for which states:

In order to be eligible for this mail in rebate promotion, the customer must purchase a PC with Microsoft Vista. This mail in rebate is valid on the units when purchased at D-LinkShop. (Available only from www.localpcbuilder.com/playon)

I do not see this as an instruction to provide evidence of the purchase of a PC with Vista.

I'm sorry if I see this a ploy to hassle or trip up the customer so that they either do not qualify because they send in the required supplemental information too late or just become frustrated with the process and blow it off.

I don't think a large company with the reputation of Bill Gates and Microsoft should allow their customers to be hassled by such deceptive practices.

Monday, March 24, 2008 11:58 PM

Answers

• In order to be eligible for the Bonus Pack, you must purchase a new computer from a select list of system builders that install an OEM version of Windows Vista.  Please review the following:

How can I tell if the copy of Microsoft Windows that was installed on my computer is eligible for the BONUS PACK offer?: http://www.localpcbuilder.com/eligible/
    Tuesday, March 25, 2008 1:06 PM
  • I'm not disputing that and would have been happy to provide evidence of that had I been requested. Again to be clear; my issue is that it was not requested to be provided in the rebate instructions so as an additional step(and delay) I am being requested to now provide it.  I believe it is fairly widely known that many companies offering rebates hope the customer never applies for a rebate or misses the deadline to submit. It was either an oversite to not include a request in the rebate instructions that evidence be provided or it was intentional in hopes that I would get the denial postcard and just blow it off or be late in submitting the additional information. 

Also to make a clarifying comment regarding your post:  The link you reference says "For a license to be eligible it must have one of the part numbers on this page OR be purchased through one of the PC builders listed on this page" .  I beleive the "or" is a very important element that adds optionality.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 1:30 PM
  • Dear Dafinman,

Thank you for your interest in the Buy Local program.

You are correct that D-link should not be requiring that information. I've escalated your issue to the Buy Local program support team.

Please send an email to support@localpcbuilder.com and include the name and address you used on your rebate form.

If the receipt information is the only reason you were denied they will work with D-link to ensure the rebate is offered.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Beth

Thursday, March 27, 2008 8:55 PM

All replies

• In order to be eligible for the Bonus Pack, you must purchase a new computer from a select list of system builders that install an OEM version of Windows Vista.  Please review the following:

How can I tell if the copy of Microsoft Windows that was installed on my computer is eligible for the BONUS PACK offer?: http://www.localpcbuilder.com/eligible/
    Tuesday, March 25, 2008 1:06 PM
  • I'm not disputing that and would have been happy to provide evidence of that had I been requested. Again to be clear; my issue is that it was not requested to be provided in the rebate instructions so as an additional step(and delay) I am being requested to now provide it.  I believe it is fairly widely known that many companies offering rebates hope the customer never applies for a rebate or misses the deadline to submit. It was either an oversite to not include a request in the rebate instructions that evidence be provided or it was intentional in hopes that I would get the denial postcard and just blow it off or be late in submitting the additional information. 

Also to make a clarifying comment regarding your post:  The link you reference says "For a license to be eligible it must have one of the part numbers on this page OR be purchased through one of the PC builders listed on this page" .  I beleive the "or" is a very important element that adds optionality.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 1:30 PM
  • Dear Dafinman,

Thank you for your interest in the Buy Local program.

You are correct that D-link should not be requiring that information. I've escalated your issue to the Buy Local program support team.

Please send an email to support@localpcbuilder.com and include the name and address you used on your rebate form.

If the receipt information is the only reason you were denied they will work with D-link to ensure the rebate is offered.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Beth

Thursday, March 27, 2008 8:55 PM
  •  

Same problem here. If this is a known problem, then why are other customers facing the same frustration with D-Link? Why hasn't microsoft come to the rescue of its customers and resolved this issue with D-Link by now?  There was clearly no mention of the PC purchase receipt to be sent in along with the other documents.  I also purchased a Maxtor One touch USB drive and got the rebate check within a month. D-Link seems to be creating this problem for microsoft customers. I have sent an e-mail to support@localpcbuilder.com. Hope they can resolve the issue quickly.
    Friday, April 25, 2008 4:02 AM
  • Thanks for the post. I had the same issue. I truly believe this is a way for D-Link to get out of paying these rebates. I began the rebate submission process in January. It is now July and I have not recieved my check. I got the postcard after a month and a half. I promptly sent in the extra receipt. I've called numerous times only to be told, "we're sorry for your inconveinience, you should be receiving your check within 3-4 weeks." Same line every time. I've spoken with floor managers who tell me that my check will be expidited. They give me a timeline of 15 days. When I call in 15 days, I get the 3-4 weeks line again. Not only have I been waiting for my rebate for over 6 months, I just discovered that D-Link was processing my check for the wrong ammount ($99.99 instead of $139.99) Now they tell me the issue must be escalated, which will take another 3-4 weeks. I've  contacted the BBB  and posted my complaint on various forums. At this point, I'm not sure what D-Link's game is, but I will never again do business with them.
    Tuesday, July 1, 2008 12:32 AM
  • Just wanted to add that I also am having troubles with the D Link processing. After following all the instructions I received a postcard stating that your rebate offer is invalid for the following reason(s):

- Offer valid at D-Link Shop Only
    - A Bonus Pack Rebate Access Code was not submitted

Just want to point out that I bought from the required link from the online D-Link Shop and have put the rebate code on the form (I kept copies at home of everything I sent so I checked).

I called and they said the the offer is not valid as I bought online and I had to buy in their physical store. I explained that I followed their link and after all as far as I am aware DLink doesn't even have an own store. Then I was put on hold and they told me that they are making an exception this time and they will process the rebate.

While I didn't want to raise a ruckus I felt really bad after the conversation given that I did everything correctly as stated on the rebate forms and then to be told that they are making an exception to process the rebate.

I am writing this for Microsoft to be aware how the customers are being treated by Dlink and that the Dlink rebate process seems to be flawed. I had no problem with the other offers (yet :)).
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 10:38 PM
  • Dear Radinis,
    Thank you for this information. I have forwarded your comments to the Buy Local team. Hopefully they will be able to address thiswith D-Link so other customers will not have the same experience.

Best regards,
    Jenifer
    Friday, January 9, 2009 6:36 PM
  • Hello all,
    If you believe you are being incorrectly denied a D-Link Rebate, please contact support@microsoftmore.com. Include your name and address as entered on the rebate form. The Buy Local team will then contact D-Link to assist in resolving the issue.

Thank you for supporting your local PC builders!

Jenifer
    Friday, January 9, 2009 11:51 PM