Windows XP MCE - PRODUCT KEY RRS feed

• Question

• I have a slight problem......I want to reinstall Windows XP MCE back onto my Toshiba laptop. I did mean to do this some time ago, but I encountered a problem. I have damaged my product key sticker very slightly when I slid it back onto the desk. I have all the characters apart from about 3 in the middle. The sticker has a big tear. I have all the disks, but I just require the completion of the missing characters. Where do I go to get this information. I can provide pictures etc.
    Sunday, January 9, 2011 4:03 PM

Answers

• "pacuk01" wrote in message news:3a2ebb7d-13de-4d8c-90d9-1697234769c2...
    I have a slight problem......I want to reinstall Windows XP MCE back onto my Toshiba laptop. I did mean to do this some time ago, but I encountered a problem. I have damaged my product key sticker very slightly when I slid it back onto the desk. I have all the characters apart from about 3 in the middle. The sticker has a big tear. I have all the disks, but I just require the completion of the missing characters. Where do I go to get this information. I can provide pictures etc.

If it had been only one, then I'd have suggested trying all the possible ones - but with three gone, that amounts to something like 27,000 possibles :)

You could try contacting you manufacturer, and seeing if they have a record of your product key (some do - many don't), or are prepared to issue a new one

You can ask MS if they'll issue a new key (not sure about the cost) -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246
    ...which has the following
    Replacement product key
    To replace a product key, locate the appropriate telephone number by visiting the following Microsoft Web site:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;CNTACTMS
    --

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, January 13, 2011 11:41 PM
    Sunday, January 9, 2011 4:27 PM

All replies

• "pacuk01" wrote in message news:3a2ebb7d-13de-4d8c-90d9-1697234769c2...
    I have a slight problem......I want to reinstall Windows XP MCE back onto my Toshiba laptop. I did mean to do this some time ago, but I encountered a problem. I have damaged my product key sticker very slightly when I slid it back onto the desk. I have all the characters apart from about 3 in the middle. The sticker has a big tear. I have all the disks, but I just require the completion of the missing characters. Where do I go to get this information. I can provide pictures etc.

If it had been only one, then I'd have suggested trying all the possible ones - but with three gone, that amounts to something like 27,000 possibles :)

You could try contacting you manufacturer, and seeing if they have a record of your product key (some do - many don't), or are prepared to issue a new one

You can ask MS if they'll issue a new key (not sure about the cost) -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246
    ...which has the following
    Replacement product key
    To replace a product key, locate the appropriate telephone number by visiting the following Microsoft Web site:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;CNTACTMS
    --

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, January 13, 2011 11:41 PM
    Sunday, January 9, 2011 4:27 PM
  • Hello pacuk01,

As a general rule, manufacturer recovery discs don't ask for a product key.

Monday, January 10, 2011 3:42 AM
  • From memory, I am sure it did..so I ended up installing an XP version from my older laptop which is well frazzled and in pieces in the loft.  The laptop is a Qosmio and install Qosmio player on a small partition on the disk and then you install MCE.  I think I am down to two characters now. I can unfold a tiny piece of the plastic which gives me another character. Another one of the characters has a slight curve so it could be bottom left corner of an O or 0 a C a Q, and only one charcter is completely unknown.

Very irritating mind.

Monday, January 10, 2011 6:30 PM