none
How do you *really* change your display name? (FAQ is lying.) RRS feed

• Question

• First off, apologies as I'm almost certain I'm posting in the wrong forum (It was the closest thing I could find in the list.)  Feel free to move this post to the correct location, or to point me in the right direction.  Thank you. 

What I have is a general question about the MSDN forums which is covered in the FAQ, but incorrectly (so far as I can tell.) 

Concerning this FAQ entry: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/help#83

There is nowhere to edit my display name on the "My Profile" screen, and certainly no "Save" button.  I am logged in.  What am I missing?

• Moved by Mike Kinsman Friday, September 23, 2011 7:48 PM Forums question (From:MSDN Subscriptions Feedback)
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 10:20 PM

Answers

• On the "My Profile" screen, click "Edit My Profile" on the left, under your avatar. Then you can modify the display name and there is a Save button. However, the display name must be unique in the system, so there must be a check before the change is saved.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services
    • Marked as answer by Mikey Jensen Saturday, September 24, 2011 4:02 AM
    Friday, September 23, 2011 9:30 PM

All replies

• Thanks Michael.  There's actually a forum for forums issues. Moving this post there.

Thanks,
    Mike 

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!
    Friday, September 23, 2011 7:48 PM
  • On the "My Profile" screen, click "Edit My Profile" on the left, under your avatar. Then you can modify the display name and there is a Save button. However, the display name must be unique in the system, so there must be a check before the change is saved.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services
    • Marked as answer by Mikey Jensen Saturday, September 24, 2011 4:02 AM
    Friday, September 23, 2011 9:30 PM
  • Ahh the elusive "Edit My Profile" button.  I must be going blind.  I must have looked right at it 12 times and missed it.  When I reread your post I went and looked for it again and it was there. Sweet.  Still, rereading the FAQ, I don't see a mention of pressing "Edit" first, so I don't feel terribly dumb now, just blind. 

Thanks Richard!

Saturday, September 24, 2011 4:02 AM
  • Thanks Mike!
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 4:03 AM
  • I'll see about updating the forums faq to be more accurate.
    Community Forums Program Manager
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 5:07 AM
    Answerer
  • I missed it at first too because the background colour doesn't provide enough contrast for the text.

Thursday, September 29, 2011 7:22 PM