Desktop client does not go back into hibernate after backup completes RRS feed

• Question

• First overnight backup with WHS ran last night, and after returning to my computer this morning I found my desktop (Vista Business) had woken from Hibernate but had not gone back into Hibernate when it finished (TALQ 352517208). I was under the impression from the WHS Connector help file that the client should return to it's previous power state when backup had finished. I've checked both the client and WHS event logs, and it records the client waking up, and the backup as completing successfully, but there's no error relating to any attempt to return to Hibernate.

There's been another post on this just as I was writing mine, and I've searched and found couple of threads relating to the automatic wakeup; I found a post that said that laptops not returning to Hibernate was a known issue, and another person who found the same issue as I did but with no real answer why, just suggestions on setting idle-time power states.

So, a couple of questions:

1. Should the WHS software be putting my desktop back into Hibernate of it's own accord or does it rely on user-configured Hibernate-on-idle settings?

2. If it's supposed to happen, what could be causing it not to?
    I have thought up a workaround for the time being, which I thought might be interesting for anyone having the same problem. It's for Vista only, but hey, we're on the bleeding edge here, right?

Vista allows you to create Task Scheduler tasks based on a particular event occurring in the Event Log. I've created a task that starts when event #769 from Source "HomeServer" in the Application log occurs (which indicates that backup has completed), and on event #770 (backup did not complete successfully - I still want the machine to turn off again if the backup didn't work). The task launches the "shutdown /h" command. Of course, this means it would go into Hibernate at the end of a manual backup too, so I set a 10-minute idle condition too, and a 60-second delay on the shutdown command so I can abort it if I need to (using "shutdown /a").

Of course, it would be much nicer if this all happened automatically, as the help file suggests. Any suggestions?
    Sunday, June 24, 2007 8:37 AM

Answers

• The WHS connector relies on user configured Power settings to return the client PC to standby or hibernation after a backup. If your desktop is configured not to automatically go into standby or hibernation, it will remain powered up after a backup.
    Sunday, June 24, 2007 12:45 PM

All replies

• The WHS connector relies on user configured Power settings to return the client PC to standby or hibernation after a backup. If your desktop is configured not to automatically go into standby or hibernation, it will remain powered up after a backup.
    Sunday, June 24, 2007 12:45 PM
  • I've been seeing the same problem, on both CTP and RC1 builds... I have a Dell E1505 that remains powered on every time after being woken up to run a backup, whether the backup passes or fails.  The lid is closed and the system is in hibernate at the end of the night.  The system is typically configured to enter standby after 1 hr. on A/C power, and hibernate after 2 hours.  I've also tried playing with the settings (for example, 30 min. to standby and 1 hr. to hibernate) with no effect. 

Tim

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 1:32 AM
  • Thanks Ken, this is the answer I was looking for because my Vista Utl. wouldnt go back to sleep after backup.

Saved me from posting another thread.

Ken Warren wrote:
    The WHS connector relies on user configured Power settings to return the client PC to standby or hibernation after a backup. If your desktop is configured not to automatically go into standby or hibernation, it will remain powered up after a backup.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 10:30 PM