Gigabyte Networks RRS feed

• Question

• I have had nothing but problems with WHS leading to three clean installs, etc.  The Backups either Fail or are Incomplete.  Reading the threads, I wonder if the problem is that I use a Gigabyte Network Switch for my WHS and all four clients.  Could it be that this OS only works on a 10/100gb switch/network and not on a gigibyte network?  All clients and the WHS are less than one year old and use onboard gigabyte LAN connected to a Linksys gigabyte switch.  There is no problem with the network otherwise and I watch video and Recorded TV from my WHS flawlessly on any of the other clients, all of which are Vista Ultimate x86.  I am at a loss and was just curious.  Any suggestions will be much appreciated!
    Tuesday, July 24, 2007 2:35 PM

All replies

• Your gigabit network is not the problem; I have such a network at home and everything works fine. Since you say everything is wired, the thing that comes to mind first is the network card in your WHS, and in particular the drivers. Are you using Windows Server 2003 drivers? (Windows Server 2003 is the base OS under WHS.) If not, are such drivers available? If they are, and you don't have them installed, you may be having problems due to incompatible drivers.
    Tuesday, July 24, 2007 3:01 PM
  • When you go to view your backups is there a reason given for the failure?
    Tuesday, July 24, 2007 5:28 PM
  • I deleted them but it is either "No reason detected or unknown" or "Network connection lost...during the timeout period".  Not exact words but neither tell me anything I can do something about.  And, yes, I am using the nForce4 Windows Server 2003 NIC MB drivers which include the LAN drivers.  The WHS is less than one year old and was used very well for Media Center 2005 up to a month ago when I converted it to the WHS box. (Now the brand new VMC box has problems and WHS doesn't work!  What an upgrade!).  All of the clients and the WHS seem to operate well on the Gigabyte network for other things.  Actually, the WHS does great for things it isn't supposed to do (Media storage and streaming video, etc) but doesn't do what it is supposed to do (Backups, etc.).  I don't know what to do next.
    Wednesday, July 25, 2007 1:57 PM
  • I had problems with the nForce 4 NIC drivers in Windows 2003 so I installed an Intel Pro/1000 and it cleared everything up on the server end.  I would give that a shot.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 2:58 PM
  • OK...thanks.  I just ordered a card and will get it installed in a couple of days, I hope.  Then I will post back the results.  Thanks again!
    Wednesday, July 25, 2007 5:31 PM
  • One more thing.  Can you tell me the name of the driver file you used?  I went to the Intel site and there are hundreds of them but i don't see one that says Windows Server 2003 yet.  Here is what I bought:

Intel PRO/1000 GT Desktop  ADP-PWLA8391GTLBLK         1  27.99

Low-Profile Network

Adapter, Gigabit

Controller, Model:

PWLA8391GTLBLK

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 5:42 PM
  • http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/CS-006120.htm
    Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003,  Windows XP  try this driver  PRO2KXP.EXE .
    Wednesday, July 25, 2007 6:54 PM
  • Great...got it!  I'll get it installed in 2 days, I hope. Thanks again!
    Wednesday, July 25, 2007 7:02 PM
  • Received the Intel PRO/1000 NIC yesterday and installed it using the drivers from the link above.  That all went well.  Last night, 3 of my 4 clients backed up automatically.  The 4th failed due to Network Connection...timed out. But, that ia an improvement.  I have added the other HDs on the clients into Backup Configuration now and will see what happens tonight.  Not perfect yet but seems to be an improvement.

Friday, July 27, 2007 3:06 PM
  • Last post on this subject...I hope.  The failed drive was showing a whole bunch of temp files and other junk so I removed them all using Disk Cleanup on that drive.  Then a Manual Backup ran great.  So, I guess the Intel PRO/1000 NIC solved the problem.  Seems the nForce 4 MBs have a problem with Gigabyte Networks!  Thanks for the help.

Ted

Saturday, July 28, 2007 5:23 PM