Purpose of installing the connector agent other than backup if using homegroup? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks.  I'm trying to figure out what the point of having the connector software installed on home client machines is if you are sharing everything via the homegroup which from what I can tell is not dependant on the connector software.  Also, why do I have to login to the connector software every time I logon?  Wha'ts the purpose?  Thanks.
    Saturday, January 1, 2011 11:18 PM

All replies

• The connector software is not only used for shared folder access:
    It contains the services to backup your computer and communicate its health state, show network health alerts, synchronize passwords, easy access to all shares and the server dashboard as well as additional (customized) functionality for add-ins.
    Additionally to that it is enables Windows Media Center integration with Vail.

- Theo. 

No home server like Home Server
    Sunday, January 2, 2011 10:53 AM
  • The connector software is not only used for shared folder access:
    It contains the services to backup your computer and communicate its health state, show network health alerts, synchronize passwords, easy access to all shares and the server dashboard as well as additional (customized) functionality for add-ins.
    Additionally to that it is enables Windows Media Center integration with Vail.

- Theo. 

No home server like Home Server

I see.  That makes a little more sense now.  Is removing that agent the only way to have the home server NOT backup one of the workstations?  Is there a seperate way to turn on the client backup for individual computers?  Thanks.
    Sunday, January 2, 2011 1:20 PM
  • In the Dashboard, you can disable backups for individual computers.  If you remove a computer from the set, then I don't think Vail can manage updates to that PC.  Not sure on the last, as I recently disconnected PC's from Vail in preparation for its expiration on the 10th.
    Sunday, January 2, 2011 2:06 PM
  • In the Dashboard, you can disable backups for individual computers.  If you remove a computer from the set, then I don't think Vail can manage updates to that PC.  Not sure on the last, as I recently disconnected PC's from Vail in preparation for its expiration on the 10th.

It expires on the 10th of January?  As in stops working completely?
    Sunday, January 2, 2011 2:19 PM
  • The dashboard page indicates that it will expire on the 10th, but I don't think anyone knows if it will be extended or what functionality will be limited.  I'm assuming the worst.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsvailbeta/thread/534d9ee9-66aa-405a-92d4-7cef96a51718

Sunday, January 2, 2011 2:46 PM
  • The dashboard page indicates that it will expire on the 10th, but I don't think anyone knows if it will be extended or what functionality will be limited.  I'm assuming the worst.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsvailbeta/thread/534d9ee9-66aa-405a-92d4-7cef96a51718

Great.  I just got around to installing it and toying with it this week.  Marvelous.

EDIT: Does that mean a new version will be released?

Sunday, January 2, 2011 3:07 PM