How do you uuninstall a nongenuine copy of windows proffessional . RRS feed

• Question

• I recently had my computer cleaned. The person doing the cleaning thought he would upgrade by using a xp prof. program he found in my general box of programs. This was not a genuine copy of xp and my attempts to use the cds which are all I have that are genuine have failed. It seems the genuine copy is a downgrade to the xp prof. I don't have the codes for the original copy just the cds. Can you help please!!!

Monday, September 26, 2011 2:43 PM

Answers

• "jla218" wrote in message news:3a3d4e59-f128-4c1e-b502-211cc24fdf3c...

I recently had my computer cleaned. The person doing the cleaning thought he would upgrade by using a xp prof. program he found in my general box of programs. This was not a genuine copy of xp and my attempts to use the cds which are all I have that are genuine have failed. It seems the genuine copy is a downgrade to the xp prof. I don't have the codes for the original copy just the cds. Can you help please!!!

What make/model is the machine.
    If it’s from a major manufacturer you may still be able to order a set of Recovery disks from them – or from a site like restoredisks.com.
    These should include the appropriate Keys if you order the correct one.
    If you can read the COA Sticker, and the Key thereon, then you can use the appropriate System Builder disk – NOT a recovery disk from another manufacturer’s machine – to reinstall using the CPA key.
    If you have access to a Retail disk with SP3 integrated, you can use the default Key to install XP, and then use the Product Key Update Tool to change the Key to the one on your COA.

If your COA is illegible or non-existent, then you are out of luck and will have to purchase a new license package for Windows of whatever version will run on the PC – note that MS no longer sells either XP or Vista, and that it’s likely that an XP-designed PC will not run Win 7 without significant upgrade.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, September 26, 2011 9:12 PM
    Monday, September 26, 2011 4:36 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately, if you have no genuine Windows XP license or CD, there is nothing you can do.  Perhaps you ought to consider recycling that old PC and purchase a modern one that comes with genuine Windows 7 preinstalled.  Here are some examples.
    Carey Frisch
    Monday, September 26, 2011 3:01 PM
  • "jla218" wrote in message news:3a3d4e59-f128-4c1e-b502-211cc24fdf3c...

I recently had my computer cleaned. The person doing the cleaning thought he would upgrade by using a xp prof. program he found in my general box of programs. This was not a genuine copy of xp and my attempts to use the cds which are all I have that are genuine have failed. It seems the genuine copy is a downgrade to the xp prof. I don't have the codes for the original copy just the cds. Can you help please!!!

What make/model is the machine.
    If it’s from a major manufacturer you may still be able to order a set of Recovery disks from them – or from a site like restoredisks.com.
    These should include the appropriate Keys if you order the correct one.
    If you can read the COA Sticker, and the Key thereon, then you can use the appropriate System Builder disk – NOT a recovery disk from another manufacturer’s machine – to reinstall using the CPA key.
    If you have access to a Retail disk with SP3 integrated, you can use the default Key to install XP, and then use the Product Key Update Tool to change the Key to the one on your COA.

If your COA is illegible or non-existent, then you are out of luck and will have to purchase a new license package for Windows of whatever version will run on the PC – note that MS no longer sells either XP or Vista, and that it’s likely that an XP-designed PC will not run Win 7 without significant upgrade.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, September 26, 2011 9:12 PM
    Monday, September 26, 2011 4:36 PM