Wont let us into data file after reinstall RRS feed

• Question

• Our computer crashed.  When we tried reinstalling Money Plus Home & Buisness copyright 2007, it says that the email or password are incorrect.  The password file got trashed with the rest of the computer.  We got a new Windows Live password -- which lets me online -- but it wont let me into the mny file.  From a prior forum link, I created a dummy file and tried to remive the password, but it still won't let me into any of my older data files.
    Tuesday, May 8, 2012 6:27 PM

All replies

• Disconnect from the Internet.  Pull your ethernet cable or turn off
    your modem -- whatever it takes.  Start Money, click below the
    password field to select "I want to sign in to Money directly,
    without access to all online services." then click Next.

If you are using Money 2006 or later, remove your LiveID.  Do not
    attempt to change your LiveID.  If you already changed your LiveID,
    use the credentials that were in effect at the time that you saved
    that Money file.

To remove the Live ID, go to File-PasswordManager, and choose to
    remove your LiveID.  To remove or add a conventional password, also
    see File->PasswordManager.

The password is case-sensitive.  If you are not sure of your
    credentials, write down what you remember.  Consider permutations.
    Check your notes.  You will not get into the file without those
    credentials.

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 6:47 PM
  • When I first started the Money reinstall, I changed my LiveID password.  it got lost when the computer crashed.  I can login with the new Live password online, but it will not get me into the data file.

After looking at the forums, I disconnected from the internet, created a dummy file [because money wouldn't load beyond the asking for a password point] went to File -->PasswordManager and then tried to open the saved file; still won't open. Since we had it set to AUTOFILL, the password is long gone.  The file has 2004 to present data.  Are you saying that it is irretreivable?

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 6:56 PM
  • Since we had it set to AUTOFILL, the password is long gone.  The file has 2004 to present data.  Are you saying that it is irretreivable?

Yes, if you cannot remember the password and email address in use when the file was saved.

If you could generate a file that contains a list of passwords to try, there is a program (Sunriise) that could try each of the passwords from that list. For example, if you tended to make passwords of the form ROSE1234, it would be possible to make a list that contained ROSE0000 ... ROSE9999 and another list with rose0000 ... rose9999, and then feed those files to that application. I could even make a little program to generate that file, so you would type something like "Gen_list.py rosebud@hotmail.com rose" , and it would make a file with rose0000 ... rose9999 along with the email address. I have not used that application for the purpose, but the author has posted about the ability. See http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/lt-LT/money/thread/9f5519cf-6d04-4379-a806-b317a737ae1a  I would write such a list-generating program if you got far enough to where you have made a small list manually, and had that successfully run (without finding the password yet) with Sunriise.

If you are totally hopeless that you can come up with the credentials, then you should have no hope of getting into your file. However if you sleep on it, maybe ideas will come to you. If you have used Firefox for some things, I could tell you how to see what passwords you have saved in it. There you might find a pattern that you have used for passwords in the past. I don't know how you would recover cached passwords from IE.

I am sorry there is not some "password recovery" program that I know of for you, although some have posted discussions of somebody offering that. I know of no case that somebody reports any success with cracking the LiveId credentials with a program.

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 7:27 PM
  • WE use roboform and have tried all possible passwords listed ther for any iteration of "live" "microsoft" "msn" "money" "ms" and none of them use the email account listed in the signon for Live. Unfortunately we don't use standard passwords, but i'll try a few more. 

We didn't realize that using the Live password was optional, so we got stuck.

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 8:33 PM