WLW seems to be chaging my HTML RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have created some HTML for a form (below), and tried to paste into the 'Source' tab on my blog via WLW.

When I paste it in and press publish it works fine. But when I click on the 'edit' tab, WLW seems to alter my code (see the 2nd example below.)

I noticed this also when I put </br> whcih became <br />.

This code is part of a footer I use regularly. any ideas how to get round this? Any ideas why its hapenning?

This is the code I want in the blog:

<form style="text-align:center" action="http://smallbusinessmarketingcentre.co.uk/submit.php" method="post">
    <table border="0">
    <tbody>
    <tr>
    <td style="border-bottom:none">Your First Name:</td>
    <td style="border-bottom:none"><input name="first_name" size="10" type="text" /></td>
    <td style="border-bottom:none">Email:</td>
    <td style="border-bottom:none"><input name="email" size="18" type="text" /></td>
    <td style="border-bottom:none" colspan="2"><input name="Submit" type="submit" value="Get Access Now" /></td>
    </tr>
    </tbody></table>
    <input name="productId" type="hidden" value="1" /> <input name="redirect" type="hidden" value="http://smallbusinessmarketingcentre.co.uk/thank-you- " /> </form></div>

This is what it turns inot:
    <form style="text-align: center" action="http://smallbusinessmarketingcentre.co.uk/submit.php" method="post">
        <table border="0"><tbody>
            <tr>
              <td style="border-bottom-style: none">Your First Name:</td>

<td style="border-bottom-style: none"><input size="size" name="first_name" /></td>

<td style="border-bottom-style: none">Email:</td>

<td style="border-bottom-style: none"><input size="size" name="email" /></td>

<td style="border-bottom-style: none" colspan="2"><input type="submit" name="Submit" /></td>
            </tr>
          </tbody></table>
        <input type="hidden" name="productId" /> <input type="hidden" name="redirect" /> </form></div>

<br />

Note the change in the redirect on the penultimate line.
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 1:18 PM

All replies

• I've just tried pasting that code into the Source in Live Writer, clicking on edit, then going back to the source, and I'm not seeing the changes you are.

PS, the <br /> change is actually correct, </br> is actually incorrect HTML.

SL - Windows Live Platform MVP
    If my post has answered your question, please mark it as an answer.
    • Proposed as answer by KazzanMVP Wednesday, November 4, 2009 9:09 PM
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 3:07 PM
  • Hi Scott,

Oops - my HTML skills are not as good as I thought they were! - I stand corrected on the line break!

However the main problem still exists. how can i show you the problem?

I appreciate your help so far.

Al

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 4:09 PM
  • PS. I tried using the template plug in to auto insert the HTML but same thing happened.

PPS. Recorded it and uploaded ot YouTube. watch it in HD to see detail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfDiAKRXcIY
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 4:16 PM
  • Just trying it again (on more than one blog provider), I see that:

Wordpress .com/.org: Changes the code
    Blogger: Changes the code
    Live Spaces: Doesn't change the code
    BlogEngine.NET: Doesn't change the code
    Community Server: Changes the code

Just in case they haven't seen this thread, drop an email to wlw-team@microsoft.com and just point them to this thread. They might be able to offer an explanation, or raise it as a bug on their side.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 4:35 PM
  • That is great. I'll email them now.

Thank you!
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 5:04 PM
  • My email to Microsoft, for reference. I will post the reply here when I get it.

Hi,

I have posted on your forum about a curious event with WLW.

I have a form that i have created in HTML. When I post the raw HTML to the 'source' tab of WLW then click 'edit' it displays the form as it should, except showing the hidden field.

However, when I switch back to the 'source' tab, or publish to my self hosted WP blog, it changes the form code.

This is the correct form code (please excuse the amateur CSS hacking):
    <form style="text-align:center" action="http://smallbusinessmarketingcentre.co.uk/dap/signup_submit.php" method="post">
    <table border="0">
    <tbody>
    <tr>
    <td style="border-bottom:none">Your First Name:</td>
    <td style="border-bottom:none"><input name="first_name" size="10" type="text" /></td>
    <td style="border-bottom:none">Email:</td>
    <td style="border-bottom:none"><input name="email" size="18" type="text" /></td>
    <td style="border-bottom:none" colspan="2"><input name="Submit" type="submit" value="Get Access Now" /></td>
    </tr>
    </tbody></table>
    <input name="productId" type="hidden" value="1" /> <input name="redirect" type="hidden" value="http://smallbusinessmarketingcentre.co.uk/thank-you-signup-successful " /> </form></div>

This what it turns into:
    <form style="text-align: center" action="http://smallbusinessmarketingcentre.co.uk/dap/signup_submit.php" method="post">
      <table border="0"><tbody>
          <tr>
            <td style="border-bottom-style: none">Your First Name:</td>

<td style="border-bottom-style: none"><input size="size" name="first_name" /></td>

<td style="border-bottom-style: none">Email:</td>

<td style="border-bottom-style: none"><input size="size" name="email" /></td>

<td style="border-bottom-style: none" colspan="2"><input type="submit" name="Submit" /></td>
          </tr>
        </tbody></table>
      <input type="hidden" name="productId" /> <input type="hidden" name="redirect" /> </form>

I would really appreciate your help - I use WLW for my Marketing site and find it truly amazing - but it becomes literally unusable for me if it changes the form fields as I rely on sign ups.

Al Elliott
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 5:15 PM
  • UPDATE:

Don't want to be unfair, but, as I half expected, I have had no response from Microsoft.

I remember emailing Google on something quite minor and had a reply within half a day.

C'mon Microsoft... don't live up to your reputation: Post an answer here! (even if it is an admission that you don't know why it does this!)

Al
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 10:54 PM
  • I've just sent them the link to this thread. Just as a side note, If this is something that you want appearing in every post, would it not make more sense to make it part of the blog itself, rather than individual posts? So have it down the side or something? Just a thought.
    Friday, October 30, 2009 8:59 AM
  • I tried doing it with your HTML and it doesnt remove the HTML, and we are not doing anything explicitly in Writer to remove HTML the user enters. 

I have seen before though.  This usually happens when something is wrong with the HTML. 

I do see that you have a </div> at the end of the HTML you are copying into the editor but no <div> to match it.  Even with that problem, I still don't see the problem you are reporting.  In your video it looks like you are copying a considerable more HTML then you posted here.  Is there anyway I can get ahold of it to test it?

-Brandon Turner [MSFT]
    Friday, October 30, 2009 9:52 PM
  • Brandon, which blog engine did you try that against, cos the first time I tried it it never removed it, and I found some blog engines were removing it within Writer. So my Wordpress .com/.org account changed the code, Blogger account changed the code, Live Spaces account didn't change the code, etc.

Friday, October 30, 2009 11:42 PM
  • Scott, that is true, some blog engines are going to remove this when you publish.  However, I think he bug he is reporting doesn't even need to be published.  Simply switching tabs without publishing causes the HTML to go away.  So I doubt at least this part of the problem is related to the blog engine, though it might be related to your theme if your theme has malformed HTML i suppose. 
    -Brandon Turner [MSFT]
    Monday, November 2, 2009 12:02 AM
  • I wasn't publishing either. It's just with some blogs it changed the code, some it didn't.
    Monday, November 2, 2009 12:05 AM