This copy of Windows is not genuine - WHY? RRS feed

• Question

• Right, I'm a little annoyed at the moment at Microsoft for having such a poor validation procedure.

I have had a computer I built myself for the past 2 months (almost), and Windows 7 was fine, it was also detected as being genuine and passed the activation procedure whilst installing and updating. Today I was getting lots of problems when booting because of a hardware error which I have now fixed, and I formatted my HDD and reinstalled Windows. Now, on my desktop in large white letters, a sentence reads, "This copy of Windows is not genuine".

Erm, yes, it is. It was supplied by Ebuyer.com which is a very reputable supplier of computer hardware and software (including Windows OS), and I have had it validated fine until now. I have my certificate of authenticy or whatever it's called, the disk has all the holograms and secutity marks, so I don't know what has happened here. I'm not happy and would appreciate an answer. I will be calling Microsoft in the morning to speak with someone.

Thursday, February 3, 2011 12:48 AM

Answers

• Think I've sorted it out. I downloaded Windows updates, then reset my computer and it asked me to activate my product key. Used online activation and it seems to have corrected my problem.
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, February 3, 2011 8:43 PM
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 7:55 PM

All replies

• "DanielJamesM" wrote in message news:3a4c6121-2e14-45c9-bfa0-456ed85e255d...

Right, I'm a little annoyed at the moment at Microsoft for having such a poor validation procedure.

I have had a computer I built myself for the past 2 months (almost), and Windows 7 was fine, it was also detected as being genuine and passed the activation procedure whilst installing and updating. Today I was getting lots of problems when booting because of a hardware error which I have now fixed, and I formatted my HDD and reinstalled Windows. Now, on my desktop in large white letters, a sentence reads, "This copy of Windows is not genuine".

Erm, yes, it is. It was supplied by Ebuyer.com which is a very reputable supplier of computer hardware and software (including Windows OS), and I have had it validated fine until now. I have my certificate of authenticy or whatever it's called, the disk has all the holograms and secutity marks, so I don't know what has happened here. I'm not happy and would appreciate an answer. I will be calling Microsoft in the morning to speak with someone.

Ebuyer should be OK - I've used them myself on occasion.

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 1:14 AM
  • Think I've sorted it out. I downloaded Windows updates, then reset my computer and it asked me to activate my product key. Used online activation and it seems to have corrected my problem.
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, February 3, 2011 8:43 PM
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 7:55 PM
  • Noel, what do you look at in these MGADiag printouts?  What is the critical info and what do have to compare it with?

Colin Barnhorst
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 8:20 PM
    Answerer
  • "DanielJamesM" wrote in message news:4c5da6c5-75d4-4256-8005-f02647e0225c...
    Think I've sorted it out. I downloaded Windows updates, then reset my computer and it asked me to activate my product key. Used online activation and it seems to have corrected my problem.

Post an MGADiag report anyhow - just in case you have any 'hidden' problems which may jump up and bite you later.

--

Friday, February 4, 2011 12:21 AM
  • "Cbarnhorst" wrote in message news:0bec6663-a38c-4b2c-b0c5-b0a8190cdf2d...

Noel, what do you look at in these MGADiag printouts?  What is the critical info and what do have to compare it with?

Colin Barnhorst

It's all critical <g>
    It's taken me a year ( roughly 8-12 hours a day) to get to my current understanding - and I still consider myself a 'Learner'. Without Darin's assistance, many in this forum would be scuppered!
    For obvious reasons, MS don't publish much about the meaning of a lot of the reports - it's a case of either trying to repro a situation (which is often not possible) or researching similar reports in the history.
    I had one a couple of weeks ago that I had to devise from scratch a way to reinstall both the SPPSVC and VSS, as they'd somehow become completely uninstalled (although thankfully the files themselves were still present). That took the best part of a week (and an awful lot of lost hair <g>). VPC to the rescue!
    The more routine problems, such as the MSDN fakes, are simple enough, and it's a case of checking that there isn't also another problem, if the user is desperate to keep their current installation, just changing the Product Key.
    All the error messages produced by the report are pretty generic, and it's common to take a stab trying to repro a problem that looks obvious, only to find that nothing untoward happens when you try, or the system just refuses to boot at all (try deleting SLC.DLL sometime<g>).
    There are some exceptions to the 'generic' errors (but if I told you , I'd have to kill you <vbeg>) - again, it's a case of learning the hard way, or cribbing off other responder's posts.
    The responders in here are a fairly friendly lot as a rule (even if one or two of us do have the occasional hissy-fit <cough/blush>), and will generally go the extra mile to make a detailed explanation if requested.
    I think that's enough of the forum space used for this - if you want any more, feel free to track me down on my website, and email me.

--

Friday, February 4, 2011 12:41 AM