OCS Audio Calls - Pin Authentication RRS feed

• Question

• I've recently setup a Mediation Server for our OCS 2007 R2 infrastructure and everything is working fine with the exception of Conference and Live Meeting Calls. After dialling into a call I am able to enter the call as an anonymous user after entering the conference ID and passcode that is provided by the system. If I try and login using the conference ID and the pin assigned to one of the users invitied to the call the system tells me that it's unable to find a conference with that passcode.

The planning guides seem to suggest that I need to create a normalization rule that will allow the conferencing attendant to perform pin-based user authentication / lookups but I haven't been able to find any examples on how to set this up.

Has anyone else managed to get this working or able to give me some example rules that can provide this functionality.

Thanks

Monday, September 21, 2009 2:43 PM

All replies

• Yes, the Enterprise Voice normalization rules are used when an authenticated user enters their 'extension' digits so that the entire number is normalized back into the Line URI value of the user.

You can test the behaivor right now by having users who dial-in enter their entire phone number as it appears in the Line URI field on their AD account (e.g. 13125551212).  In order to setup normalization rules to mask the entire string with just the desired 'extension' digits you'll need to defineat least one Normalization Rule in the default location profile.

Take a look at this blog article for basics on configuring RegEx strings for the normalization rules: http://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=26
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Monday, September 21, 2009 3:58 PM
  • Thanks for the link it looks useful, I'll try and test the existing rules tomorrow. I'm a bit unsure about the authentication process when calling into a conference. Should the person be able to enter their pin instead of the passcode for anonymous callers or should they enter their extension number at this point.

Monday, September 21, 2009 8:33 PM
  • Anonymous callers can only enter the meeting's assigned passcode.

OCs USers can opt to use either the passcode (an join as an unknown caller) or authenticate using their PIN.  When the Automated Attendent asks for the pasccode simply dial '1' then dial the user's phone number. Then when prompted enter the PIN for that user.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Monday, September 21, 2009 8:45 PM
  • I've got a working normalization rule to convert an extension to the full number which seems to be working ok but I can't seem to authenticate to a call. When I try and enter either the user's pin, extension or phone number in place of the anonymous passcode the attendant tells me that it couldn't find a conference with the passcode I supplied. Before applying the July update for the conferencing attendant I remember being prompted to enter 1 and # to authenticate to the call but since the update this prompt seems to have stopped.

Is there anything else that I might need to add to the setup to get the user authentication working

Tuesday, September 22, 2009 7:59 AM
  • Simon,

You always have to enter the passcode for a meeting if the Global Meeting Policy defined on the user requires the passcode.  So you enter the conference ID, then the passcode, and that is where it gives you the option to dial in as a leader.  It is at this point that it'll ask you for the extension followed by the PIN.  If the extension does not work, you will need to enter your full phone number and then your PIN again.  The CWA July update will provide you with the details that will determine whether you should be entering an extension or the full phone number.

One thing to keep in mind here is that if the user has a DID, CWA will show that the user has no extension configured.  However, you can still use an extension if it normalizes properly on the backend.  If you have Non-DID users such as tel:+12223334444;EXT=4444, CWA will show that the user's extension is 4444, and because it's unique in the organization, entering 4444 will allow the user to join using 4444.  For your DID users, you can still use +12223334444;EXT=4444 even if that phone number is dedicated for that user so that extension is unique and CWA will display that extension for that user in CWA.
    MVP | MCSE:M | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator | MCTS: OCS + Voice Specialization | http://www.shudnow.net
    Friday, October 2, 2009 10:03 PM
  • Hi Elan,

So i've been watching this for a while now and wanted to chime in.

You mention that if a user has a DID (i.e. +17805551212) and you have a normalization rule to take their "extension" (i.e. 1212) from the DID, it will permit the user keying in "1212". For example:

^12(\d{2})$
    +178055512$1

As long as this mornalization rule is part of the default location profile on the pool (or server), CWA will be able to match "1212" against the DID.

I've noticed the CWA page complain about my account not having an "extension"....and yes, when I add the 4 digit extension to my DID (i.e. +17805551212;ext=1212), it shows both my number and extension filled out and the error is gone.

The only issue I have with this is that I need to perform digit manipulation on all outbound calls to strip the ";ext=1212" as my caller ID number before sending to the PSTN. If the number gets normalized properly by CWA using the location profile anyway, the error in the CWA page is pretty much cosmetic and has no negative impact does it?

Thanks,

Jason
    Jason C. Shave | Microsoft UC V-TSP | MCITP:EA, MCTS:OCS Configuring/Voice, MCSE, CCA:MPS/NetScaler 8.0 | http://jasonshave.blogspot.com
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 3:45 AM
  • Jason, Yes, the error (which is actually a warning as you can see from the warning icon - the text should be yellow and not red) is only cosmetic.  It only shows properly when you have the ext= in the TELURI.  The extension piece will still work if normalization is set to allow it (extension to E.164) but won't "cosmetically" display properly if you don't have the EXT there.
    MVP | MCSE:M | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator | MCTS: OCS + Voice Specialization | http://www.shudnow.net
    Friday, October 9, 2009 1:00 AM