none
Can i use ICE for stitching aerial imagery? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a selection of aerial images taken by a drone over an area of ocean, I am looking for free open-software to stitch these together to make a map. Can I stitch these together using ICE?
    Wednesday, April 24, 2019 1:34 PM

All replies

• Yes, works extremely well.  Can handle huge numbers of photos.  They should overlap.
    Thursday, May 2, 2019 3:10 AM
  • Hi, thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately after waiting a long time for them to be stitched it says "Could not stitch together any of the input images. Please make sure your images are taken from one location and overlap one another."

I have been recommended to use this by another drone professional and have seen a small selection of my images stitched in another program and I know they overlap since an image was taken every 5 m at a good altitude, any advice??

Friday, May 10, 2019 6:51 PM
  • I do roughly 20 to 25 panos a week. I shoot the panos from 100 feet and 200 feet. I take four rows and eight photos each. I start a +8 degrees, take eight photos, -15 and eight, -40 and eight, -65 and eight, 90 and two. As you can figure I'm rotating 45 degrees after each photo giving me eight photos 360 degrees. 

I'm flying an Impire 2 with the X5 camera and 15 mm lens. Depending on the focal length of the lens you are using you may need to adjust the number of photos to get enough overlap both horizontally and vertically. 

The other option is to use Litchi or a software that does panos. Litchi works great for panos with the Phantom but has problems with the gimbal control on the Inspire 2

Hope this helps. 

Thursday, June 20, 2019 9:31 PM