Import contacts related to Leads RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I would like to know how to import contacts that are related to existing leads. I have tried the Import Wizard by uploading a CVS file, but I failed. The CVS file has the following columns:

- Lead: code generated by CRM Microsoft when I exported it

- Name: name of the Lead

- ContactLast Name: Here i have tried several headers to point to the Last Name of the contact (or any other attribute of it) but I have not succedeed.

Can someone tell me how to solve this?

Thank you very much!

Friday, December 10, 2010 2:34 PM

Answers

• Hello, if you are trying to import contacts your CSV file should contain attributes from the contact entity as columns in your CSV file. The attributes you've listed as lead attributes, which would only be useful if you wanted to import leads.

If you are trying to import contacts and associate them with existing lead records, then your CSV file should contain attributes such as First Name, Last Name, Originating Lead. However, I'm not 100% it's possible to import values into the originating lead attribute.

Alternatively, why not just convert all your existing leads into contacts? If you add the leads to a marketing list, then from the marketing list members screen there is a feature to convert all the leads to accounts/contacts/opportunities.

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter. Join over 10,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 9:27 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Try linking the "ContactLast Name" field to the Originating Lead field. Lookups should be found, but the import may fail if the record isn't found.

Ian Carter

Click here to go to UNIT4 Business Software.

Here are my links: Twitter Blog LinkedIn

Monday, January 10, 2011 10:51 PM
  • Hello, if you are trying to import contacts your CSV file should contain attributes from the contact entity as columns in your CSV file. The attributes you've listed as lead attributes, which would only be useful if you wanted to import leads.

If you are trying to import contacts and associate them with existing lead records, then your CSV file should contain attributes such as First Name, Last Name, Originating Lead. However, I'm not 100% it's possible to import values into the originating lead attribute.

Alternatively, why not just convert all your existing leads into contacts? If you add the leads to a marketing list, then from the marketing list members screen there is a feature to convert all the leads to accounts/contacts/opportunities.

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter. Join over 10,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 9:27 AM